Method for removing strongly adsorbed surfactants and capping agents from metal to facilitate their catalytic applications
A method of synthesizing activated electrocatalyst, preferably having a morphology of a nanostructure, is disclosed. The method includes safely and efficiently removing surfactants and capping agents from the surface of the metal structures. With regard to metal nanoparticles, the method includes synthesis of nanoparticle(s) in polar or non-polar solution with surfactants or capping agents and subsequent activation by CO-adsorption-induced surfactant/capping agent desorption and electrochemical oxidation. The method produces activated macroparticle or nanoparticle electrocatalysts without damaging the surface of the electrocatalyst that includes breaking, increasing particle thickness or increasing the number of low coordination sites.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC (Upton, NY) BNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jan 07
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Synthesis and catalytic activity of Pt monolayer on Pd tetrahedral nanocrystals with CO-adsorption-induced removal of surfactants
journal, November 2011
- Gong, Kuanping; Vukmirovic, Miomir B.; Ma, Chao
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 662, Issue 1, p. 213-218
Metal monolayer deposition by replacement of metal adlayers on electrode surfaces
journal, March 2001
- Brankovic, S. R.; Wang, J. X.; Adžić, R. R.
- Surface Science, Vol. 474, Issue 1-3, p. L173-L179
Size-Dependent Enhancement of Electrocatalytic Performance in Relatively Defect-Free, Processed Ultrathin Platinum Nanowires
journal, August 2010
- Koenigsmann, Christopher; Zhou, Wei-ping; Adzic, Radoslav R.
- Nano Letters, Vol. 10, Issue 8, p. 2806-2811
Quantum dot bioconjugates for imaging, labelling and sensing
journal, June 2005
- Medintz, Igor L.; Uyeda, H. Tetsuo; Goldman, Ellen R.
- Nature Materials, Vol. 4, Issue 6, p. 435-446
Controlling the Catalytic Activity of Platinum-Monolayer Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction with Different Substrates
journal, March 2005
- Zhang, Junliang; Vukmirovic, Miomir B.; Xu, Ye
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 44, Issue 14, p. 2132-2135
Platinum Monolayer on Nonnoble Metal−Noble Metal Core−Shell Nanoparticle Electrocatalysts for O2 Reduction
journal, December 2005
- Zhang, J.; Lima, F. H. B.; Shao, M. H.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 109, Issue 48, p. 22701-22704
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: