Methods for estimating properties of hydrocarbons comprising asphaltenes based on their solubility
Disclosed herein is a method of estimating a property of a hydrocarbon comprising the steps of: preparing a liquid sample of a hydrocarbon, the hydrocarbon having asphaltene fractions therein; precipitating at least some of the asphaltenes of a hydrocarbon from the liquid sample with one or more precipitants in a chromatographic column; dissolving at least two of the different asphaltene fractions from the precipitated asphaltenes during a successive dissolution protocol; eluting the at least two different dissolved asphaltene fractions from the chromatographic column; monitoring the amount of the fractions eluted from the chromatographic column; using detected signals to calculate a percentage of a peak area for a first of the asphaltene fractions and a peak area for a second of the asphaltene fractions relative to the total peak areas, to determine a parameter that relates to the property of the hydrocarbon; and estimating the property of the hydrocarbon.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The University of Wyoming Research Corporation (Laramie, WY) NETL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Jan 10
- Research Org:
- The University of Wyoming Research Corporation, Laramie, WY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:On-column precipitation and re-dissolution of asphaltenes in petroleum residua
journal, February 2008
- Schabron, John F.; Rovani, Joseph F.
- Fuel, Vol. 87, Issue 2, p. 165-176
TLC–FID (Iatroscan) analysis of heavy oil and tar sand samples
journal, August 2008
- Jiang, Chunqing; Larter, Steve R.; Noke, Kimberley J.
- Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 39, Issue 8, p. 1210-1214
Analysis of petroleum fractions by TLC-FID: applications to petroleum reservoir description
journal, January 1991
- Karlsen, Dag A.; Larter, Steve R.
- Organic Geochemistry, Vol. 17, Issue 5, p. 603-617
Aggregation of asphaltenes as determined by calorimetry
journal, March 1991
- Andersen, Simon Ivar; Birdi, Kulbir S.
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 142, Issue 2, p. 497-502
Acoustic method for measuring asphaltene flocculation in crude oils
journal, September 2000
- Carrier, H.; Plantier, F.; Daridon, J-L.
- Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 27, Issue 3-4, p. 111-117
Initial studies using ultrasonic spectroscopy for monitoring changes in residua with pyrolysis
journal, October 2006
- Schabron, John F.; Rovani, Joseph F.; Pauli, A. Troy
- Fuel, Vol. 85, Issue 14-15, p. 2093-2105
Kinetic models for the thermal cracking of Athabasca bitumen
journal, May 1985
- Phillips, Colin R.; Haidar, Nagib I.; Poon, Yiu C.
- Fuel, Vol. 64, Issue 5, p. 678-691
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: