Chloride, bromide and iodide scintillators with europium
A halide scintillator material is disclosed where the halide may comprise chloride, bromide or iodide. The material is single-crystalline and has a composition of the general formula ABX.sub.3 where A is an alkali, B is an alkali earth and X is a halide which general composition was investigated. In particular, crystals of the formula ACa.sub.1-yEu.sub.yI.sub.3 where A=K, Rb and Cs were formed as well as crystals of the formula CsA.sub.1-yEu.sub.yX.sub.3 (where A=Ca, Sr, Ba, or a combination thereof and X=Cl, Br or I or a combination thereof) with divalent Europium doping where 0.ltoreq.y.ltoreq.1, and more particularly Eu doping has been studied at one to ten mol %. The disclosed scintillator materials are suitable for making scintillation detectors used in applications such as medical imaging and homeland security.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of Tennessee Research Foundation (Knoxville, TN) NNSASC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Jun 25
- Research Org:
- University of Tennessee Research Foundation, Knoxville, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Thermodynamic calculation of the GdCl3–ACl (A=Na,K,Rb,Cs) phase diagrams based on experimental data
journal, March 2006
- Ma, Zhisen; Sun, Yimin; Ding, Yan
- Calphad, Vol. 30, Issue 1, p. 88-94
Upconversion Between 4f–5d Excited States in Tm2+-Doped CsCaCl3, CsCaBr3, and CsCaI3
journal, January 2007
- Grimm, J.; Beurer, E.; Gerner, P.
- Chemistry - A European Journal, Vol. 13, Issue 4, p. 1152-1157
Crystal growth and scintillation properties of Cs3CeCl6 and CsCe2Cl7
journal, March 2011
- Zhuravleva, M.; Yang, K.; Melcher, C. L.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 318, Issue 1, p. 809-812
Bridgman growth of LaBr3:Ce and LaCl3:Ce crystals for high-resolution gamma-ray spectrometers
journal, January 2006
- Higgins, W. M.; Glodo, J.; Van Loef, E.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 287, Issue 2, p. 239-242
Modelling of the thermodynamic properties of the ABr–CeBr3 (A=Li–Cs ) systems
journal, March 2010
- Kapała, Jan; Rutkowska, Iwona; Chojnacka, Ida
- Calphad, Vol. 34, Issue 1, p. 15-19
Fluorescence spectra of ARE2I5 and AREI3 in the solid state (A ≡ K, Rb, Cs, Ti; RE ≡ Sm, Eu)
journal, March 1992
- Xinhua, Zhao; Shihua, Wang; Baopeng, Cao
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 180, Issue 1-2, p. 235-238
Eu2+-doped Ba2CsI5, a new high-performance scintillator
journal, December 2009
- Bourret-Courchesne, E. D.; Bizarri, G.; Borade, R.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 612, Issue 1, p. 138-142
BaBrI:Eu2+, a new bright scintillator
journal, January 2010
- Bourret-Courchesne, E. D.; Bizarri, G.; Hanrahan, S. M.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 613, Issue 1, p. 95-97
Phase diagram of the CsBr-CaBr2 system
journal, June 2006
- Bao, X.; Chen, N.; Lu, W.
- Rare Metals, Vol. 25, Issue 3, p. 293-296
Efficiency and yield spectra of inorganic scintillates
journal, May 1998
- Rodnyi, P. A.
- Radiation Measurements, Vol. 29, Issue 3-4, p. 235-242
Luminescence of some Eu2+ activated bromides
journal, September 2009
- Gahane, D. H.; Kokode, N. S.; Muthal, P. L.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 484, Issue 1-2, p. 660-664
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: