Microfluidic pressure amplifier circuits and electrostatic gates for pneumatic microsystems
An electrostatic actuator is provide that can include a fluidic line, a first electrode, and a second electrode such that a gate chamber portion of the fluidic line is sandwiched between the first electrode and the second electrode. The electrostatic actuator can also include a pressure-balancing channel in fluid communication with the gate chamber portion where the first electrode is sandwiched between the pressure-balancing channel and the gate chamber portion. A pneumatic valve system is provided which includes an electrostatic gate and a fluidic channel fluidly separate from a fluidic control line. A pneumatic valve portion of the fluidic control line can be positioned relative to a portion of the fluidic channel such that expansion of the pneumatic valve portion restricts fluid flow through the fluidic channel. Methods of using an electrostatic actuator and a pneumatic valve system are also provided.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Board of Trustees of the University Of Illinois (Urbana, IL) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 May 23
- Research Org:
- The Board of Trustees of the University Of Illinois, Urbana, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 42 ENGINEERING
Other works cited in this record:Design considerations for elastomeric normally closed microfluidic valves
journal, December 2011
- Mohan, Ritika; Schudel, Benjamin R.; Desai, Amit V.
- Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 160, Issue 1, p. 1216-1223
Normally closed electrostatic microvalve with pressure balance mechanism for portable fuel cell application
journal, February 2010
- Yoshida, Kazushi; Tanaka, Shuji; Hagihara, Yosuke
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 157, Issue 2, p. 290-298
Microfabricated bioprocessor for integrated nanoliter-scale Sanger DNA sequencing
journal, April 2006
- Blazej, R. G.; Kumaresan, P.; Mathies, R. A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 103, Issue 19, p. 7240-7245
Factors enhancing the reliability of touch-mode electrostatic actuators
journal, February 2000
- Cabuz, C.; Cabuz, E. I.; Ohnstein, T. R.
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 79, Issue 3, p. 245-250
Two-layer multiplexed peristaltic pumps for high-density integrated microfluidics
journal, January 2011
- Cole, Matthew C.; Desai, Amit V.; Kenis, Paul J. A.
- Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 151, Issue 2, p. 384-393
Small but strong: A review of the mechanical properties of carbon nanotube–polymer composites
journal, August 2006
- Coleman, Jonathan N.; Khan, Umar; Blau, Werner J.
- Carbon, Vol. 44, Issue 9, p. 1624-1652
Compact analytical modeling of squeeze film damping with arbitrary venting conditions using a Green's function approach
journal, October 1998
- Darling, Robert B.; Hivick, Chris; Xu, Jianyang
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 70, Issue 1-2, p. 32-41
Computerized microfluidic cell culture using elastomeric channels and Braille displays
journal, October 2004
- Gu, W.; Zhu, X.; Futai, N.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 45, p. 15861-15866
Collapse of stamps for soft lithography due to interfacial adhesion
journal, April 2005
- Hsia, K. J.; Huang, Y.; Menard, E.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 86, Issue 15, Article No. 154106
Microdroplets: A sea of applications?
journal, January 2008
- Huebner, Ansgar; Sharma, Sanjiv; Srisa-Art, Monpichar
- Lab on a Chip, Vol. 8, Issue 8, p. 1244-1254
Microreaction engineering — is small better?
journal, January 2001
- Jensen, Klavs F.
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 56, Issue 2, p. 293-303
Acoustically driven programmable liquid motion using resonance cavities
journal, July 2009
- Langelier, S. M.; Chang, D. S.; Zeitoun, R. I.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106, Issue 31, p. 12617-12622
Dissecting biological "dark matter" with single-cell genetic analysis of rare and uncultivated TM7 microbes from the human mouth
journal, July 2007
- Marcy, Y.; Ouverney, C.; Bik, E. M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 104, Issue 29, p. 11889-11894
Solution Casting and Transfer Printing Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Films
journal, September 2004
- Meitl, Matthew A.; Zhou, Yangxin; Gaur, Anshu
- Nano Letters, Vol. 4, Issue 9, p. 1643-1647
Microfluidic system for on-chip high-throughput whole-animal sorting and screening at subcellular resolution
journal, August 2007
- Rohde, C. B.; Zeng, F.; Gonzalez-Rubio, R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 104, Issue 35, p. 13891-13895
Ultra-low electrical percolation threshold in carbon-nanotube-epoxy composites
journal, September 2003
- Sandler, J. K. W.; Kirk, J. E.; Kinloch, I. A.
- Polymer, Vol. 44, Issue 19, p. 5893-5899
A high-stroke, high-pressure electrostatic actuator for valve applications
journal, September 2002
- van der Wijngaart, Wouter; Ask, Håkan; Enoksson, Peter
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 100, Issue 2-3, p. 264-271
Parasitic charging of dielectric surfaces in capacitive microelectromechanical systems (MEMS)
journal, November 1998
- Wibbeler, Jürgen; Pfeifer, Günter; Hietschold, Michael
- Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 71, Issue 1-2, p. 74-80
Transparent, Conductive Carbon Nanotube Films
journal, August 2004
- Wu, Zhuangchun; Chen, Zhihong; Du, Xu
- Science, Vol. 305, Issue 5688, p. 1273-1276
Deformation of PDMS membrane and microcantilever by a water droplet: Comparison between Mooney–Rivlin and linear elastic constitutive models
journal, April 2009
- Yu, Ying-Song; Zhao, Ya-Pu
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 332, Issue 2, p. 467-476
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: