Lignases and aldo-keto reductases for conversion of lignin-containing materials to fermentable products
Termites have specialized digestive systems that overcome the lignin barrier in wood to release fermentable simple sugars. Using the termite Reticulitermes flavipes and its gut symbionts, high-throughput titanium pyrosequencing and proteomics approaches experimentally compared the effects of lignin-containing diets on host-symbiont digestome composition. Proteomic investigations and functional digestive studies with recombinant lignocellulases conducted in parallel provided strong evidence of congruence at the transcription and translational levels and provide enzymatic strategies for overcoming recalcitrant lignin barriers in biofuel feedstocks. Briefly described, therefore, the disclosure provides a system for generating a fermentable product from a lignified plant material, the system comprising a cooperating series of at least two catalytically active polypeptides, where said catalytically active polypeptides are selected from the group consisting of: cellulase Cell-1, .beta.-glu cellulase, an aldo-keto-reductase, a catalase, a laccase, and an endo-xylanase.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- PURDUE RESEARCH FOUNDATION (West Lafayette, IN) OSTI
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Feb 11
- Research Org:
- PURDUE RESEARCH FOUNDATION, West Lafayette, IN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 09 BIOMASS FUELS
Other works cited in this record:Dual cellulose-digesting system of the wood-feeding termite, Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki
journal, July 2002
- Nakashima, K.; Watanabe, H.; Saitoh, H.
- Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Vol. 32, Issue 7, p. 777-784
Phenol-oxidizing laccases from the termite gut
journal, October 2010
- Coy, M. R.; Salem, T. Z.; Denton, J. S.
- Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Vol. 40, Issue 10, p. 723-732
Three aldo–keto reductases of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae
journal, January 2001
- Ford, Gordon; Ellis, Elizabeth M.
- Chemico-Biological Interactions, Vol. 130-132, p. 685-698
Lignocellulose conversion: an introduction to chemistry, process and economics
journal, January 2007
- Lange, Jean-Paul
- Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 39-48
Functional and translational analyses of a beta-glucosidase gene (glycosyl hydrolase family 1) isolated from the gut of the lower termite Reticulitermes flavipes
journal, August 2010
- Scharf, Michael E.; Kovaleva, Elena S.; Jadhao, Sanjay
- Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Vol. 40, Issue 8, p. 611-620
Characterization of four esterase genes and esterase activity from the gut of the termite Reticulitermes flavipes
journal, January 2009
- Wheeler, Marsha M.; Tarver, Matthew R.; Coy, Monique R.
- Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, Vol. 73, Issue 1, p. 30-48
Correlation of cellulase gene expression and cellulolytic activity throughout the gut of the termite Reticulitermes flavipes
journal, June 2007
- Zhou, Xuguo; Smith, Joseph A.; Oi, Faith M.
- Gene, Vol. 395, Issue 1-2, p. 29-39
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: