Transgenic plants with enhanced growth characteristics
The invention relates to transgenic plants exhibiting dramatically enhanced growth rates, greater seed and fruit/pod yields, earlier and more productive flowering, more efficient nitrogen utilization, increased tolerance to high salt conditions, and increased biomass yields. In one embodiment, transgenic plants engineered to over-express both glutamine phenylpyruvate transaminase (GPT) and glutamine synthetase (GS) are provided. The GPT+GS double-transgenic plants of the invention consistently exhibit enhanced growth characteristics, with T0 generation lines showing an increase in biomass over wild type counterparts of between 50% and 300%. Generations that result from sexual crosses and/or selfing typically perform even better, with some of the double-transgenic plants achieving an astounding four-fold biomass increase over wild type plants.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- LOS ALAMOS NATIONAL SECURITY, LLC (Los Alamos, NM) LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Dec 14
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Characterization of diphtheria fusion proteins targeted to the human interleukin-3 receptor
journal, August 2000
- Frankel, Arthur E.; Ramage, Jason; Kiser, Melanie
- Protein Engineering, Design and Selection, Vol. 13, Issue 8, p. 575-581
The maize GapC4 promoter confers anaerobic reporter gene expression and shows homology to the maize anthocyanin regulatory locus C1
journal, December 1995
- Kohler, Uwe; Liaud, Marie-Francoise; Mendel, Ralf R.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 29, Issue 6, p. 1293-1298
The Molecular-Genetics of Nitrogen Assimilation Into Amino Acids In Higher Plants
journal, June 1996
- Lam, H.-M.; Coschigano, K. T.; Oliveira, I. C.
- Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 47, Issue 1, p. 569-593
A zein gene of maize is transcribed from two widely separated promoter regions
journal, October 1983
- Langridge, Peter; Feix, Günter
- Cell, Vol. 34, Issue 3, p. 1015-1022
Differential expression of six glutamine synthetase genes in Zea mays
journal, October 1993
- Li, Min -gang; Villemur, Richard; Hussey, Patrick J.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 23, Issue 2, p. 401-407
Expression of soybean lectin gene deletions in tobacco
journal, January 1990
- Lindstrom, Jon T.; Vodkin, Lila O.; Harding, Roy W.
- Developmental Genetics, Vol. 11, Issue 2, p. 160-167
Identification of several soybean cytosolic glutamine synthetase transcripts highly or specifically expressed in nodules: expression studies using one of the corresponding genes in transgenic Lotus corniculatus
journal, January 1995
- Marsolier, Marie-Claude; Debrosses, Guilhem; Hirel, Bertrand
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 27, Issue 1, p. 1-15
Structure, evolution and anaerobic regulation of a nuclear gene encoding cytosolic glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase from maize
journal, August 1989
- Martinez, Pascal; Martin, William; Cerff, Rüdiger
- Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 208, Issue 4, p. 551-565
A gene network controlling glutamine and asparagine biosynthesis in plants.
journal, November 1991
- McGrath, R. B.; Coruzzi, G. M.
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 3, p. 275-280
A general method applicable to the search for similarities in the amino acid sequence of two proteins
journal, March 1970
- Needleman, Saul B.; Wunsch, Christian D.
- Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 48, Issue 3, p. 443-453
Identification of DNA sequences required for activity of the cauliflower mosaic virus 35S promoter
journal, February 1985
- Odell, Joan T.; Nagy, Ferenc; Chua, Nam-Hai
- Nature, Vol. 313, Issue 6005, p. 810-812
Metabolite and light regulation of metabolism in plants: lessons from the study of a single biochemical pathway
journal, May 2001
- Oliveira, I.C.; Brenner, E.; Chiu, J.
- Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, Vol. 34, Issue 5, p. 567-575
Molecular cloning and expression of a cDNA for human kidney cysteine conjugate β-lyase
journal, March 1995
- Perry, Sandra; Harries, Helen; Scholfield, Claire
- FEBS Letters, Vol. 360, Issue 3, p. 277-280
Targeting transgene expression in research, agricultural, and environmental applications: Promoters used in plant transformation
journal, January 2004
- Potenza, Carol; Aleman, Lorenzo; Sengupta-Gopalan, Champa
- In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Plant, Vol. 40, Issue 1, p. 1-22
Molecular and general genetics of a hybrid foreign gene introduced into tobacco by direct gene transfer
journal, January 1985
- Potrykus, Ingo; Paszkowski, Jerzy; Saul, Michael W.
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 199, Issue 2, p. 169-177
Characterization of an rbcS gene from Nicotiana plumbaginifolia and expression of an rbcS-CAT chimeric gene in homologous and heterologous nuclear background
journal, November 1986
- Poulsen, Carsten; Fluhr, Robert; Kauffman, John M.
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 205, Issue 2, p. 193-200
Strong functional GC pressure in a light-regulated maize gene encoding subunit GAPA of chloroplast glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase: Implications for the evolution of GAPA pseudogenes
journal, November 1989
- Quigley, Françoise; Brinkmann, Henner; Martin, William F.
- Journal of Molecular Evolution, Vol. 29, Issue 5, p. 412-421
Two classes of differentially regulated glutamine synthetase genes are expressed in the soybean nodule: a nodule-specific class and a constitutively expressed class
journal, September 1993
- Roche, Dominique; Temple, Stephen J.; Sengupta-Gopalan, Champa
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 22, Issue 6, p. 971-983
 Improved vectors for plant transformation: Expression cassette vectors and new selectable markers
journal, January 1987
- Rogers, S. G.; Klee, H. J.; Horsch, R. B.
- Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 153, p. 253-277
Gene transfer in plants: Production of transformed plants using Ti plasmid vectors
journal, January 1986
- Rogers, Stephen G.; Horsch, Robert B.; Fraley, Robert T.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 118, p. 627-640
Three cDNA sequences coding for glutamine synthetase polypeptides in Oryza sativa L.
journal, November 1989
- Sakamoto, Atsushi; Ogawa, Masahiro; Masumura, Takehiro
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 13, Issue 5, p. 611-614
Molecular analysis of three maize 22 kDa auxin-binding protein genes - transient promoter expression and regulatory regions
journal, September 1993
- Schwob, Etienne; Choi, Soon-Yong; Simmons, Carl
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 4, Issue 3, p. 423-432
Fertile transgenic rice plants regenerated from transformed protoplasts
journal, March 1989
- Shimamoto, Ko; Terada, Rie; Izawa, Takeshi
- Nature, Vol. 338, Issue 6212, p. 274-276
Isolation and characterization of a maize chlorophyll a/b binding protein gene that produces high levels of mRNA in the dark
journal, February 1989
- Sullivan, Thomas D.; Christensen, Alan H.; Quail, Peter H.
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 215, Issue 3, p. 431-440
A Highly Efficient Transformation Protocol for Micro-Tom, a Model Cultivar for Tomato Functional Genomics
journal, March 2006
- Sun, Hyeon-Jin; Uchii, Sayaka; Watanabe, Shin
- Plant and Cell Physiology, Vol. 47, Issue 3, p. 426-431
Modulation of glutamine synthetase gene expression in tobacco by the introduction of an alfalfa glutamine synthetase gene in sense and antisense orientation: molecular and biochemical analysis
journal, January 1993
- Temple, Stephen J.; Knight, Thomas J.; Unkefer, Pat J.
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 236-236, Issue 2-3, p. 315-325
Nucleotide sequence of an alfalfa glutamine synthetase gene
journal, May 1986
- Tischer, Edmund; DasSarma, Shiladitya; Goodman, Howard M.
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 203, Issue 2, p. 221-229
Maize α-tubulin genes are expressed according to specific patterns of cell differentiation
journal, January 1998
- Uribe, Xavier; Torres, Miguel Angel; Capellades, Montserrat
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 37, Issue 6, p. 1069-1078
The effect of additional virulence genes on transformation efficiency, transgene integration and expression in rice plants using the pGreen/pSoup dual binary vector system
journal, December 2004
- Vain, Philippe; Harvey, Alison; Worland, Barbara
- Transgenic Research, Vol. 13, Issue 6, p. 593-603
Synthetic promoters genetic control through cis engineering
journal, March 2007
- Venter, Mauritz
- Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 12, Issue 3, p. 118-124
Ca lectin gene insertion has the structural features of a transposable element
journal, October 1983
- Vodkin, Lila O.; Rhodes, Patsy R.; Goldberg, Robert B.
- Cell, Vol. 34, Issue 3, p. 1023-1031
A Rapid and Simple Method of Assaying Plants Transformed with Hygromycin or PPT Resistance Genes
journal, January 1997
- Wang, Ming-Bo; Waterhouse, Peter M.
- Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, Vol. 15, Issue 3, p. 209-215
Analysis of a chimeric class-I patatin-GUS gene in transgenic potato plants: High-level expression in tubers and sucrose-inducible expression in cultured leaf and stem explants
journal, January 1989
- Wenzler, Herman C.; Mignery, Gregory A.; Fisher, Linda M.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 12, Issue 1, p. 41-50
In Planta Transformation of Tomato
journal, June 2008
- Yasmeen, Abida; Mirza, Bushra; Inayatullah, Samia
- Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, Vol. 27, Issue 1, p. 20-28
 Glutamine synthetase Escherichia coli
book, January 1970
- Shapiro, Bennett M.; Stadtman, E.R.
- Methods in Enzymology, Part of volume Metabolism of Amino Acids and Amines Part A, p. 910-922
Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs
journal, September 1997
- Altschul, Stephen F.; Madden, Thomas L.; Schäffer, Alejandro A.
- Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 25, Issue 17, p. 3389-3402
Transient expression from cab-m1 and rbcS-m3 promoter sequences is different in mesophyll and bundle sheath cells in maize leaves.
journal, April 1992
- Bansal, K. C.; Viret, J. F.; Haley, J.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 89, Issue 8, p. 3654-3658
Glutamine synthetase isoenzymes of Phaseolus vulgaris L. subunit composition in developing root nodules and plumules
journal, November 1989
- Bennett, Malcolm J.; Cullimore, Julie V.
- Planta, Vol. 179, Issue 4, p. 433-440
Cloning and characterization of a nodule-enhanced glutamine synthetase-encoding gene from Lupinus luteus
journal, December 1993
- Boron, Leszek J.; Legocki, Andrzej B.
- Gene, Vol. 136, Issue 1-2, p. 95-102
Specificity of Agrobacterium-mediated delivery of maize streak virus DNA to members of the Gramineae
journal, January 1989
- Boulton, Margaret I.; Buchholz, Wallace G.; Marks, Melanie S.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 12, Issue 1, p. 31-40
A promoter sequence involved in cell-specific expression of the pea glutamine synthetase GS3A gene in organs of transgenic tobacco and alfalfa
journal, September 1991
- Brears, Timothy; Walker, Elsbeth L.; Coruzzi, Gloria M.
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 2, p. 235-244
Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, December 1998
- Clough, Steven J.; Bent, Andrew F.
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 16, Issue 6, p. 735-743
Expression of a maize proteinase inhibitor gene is induced in response to wounding and fungal infection: systemic wound-response of a monocot gene
journal, August 1994
- Cordero, Maria Jose; Raventos, Dora; San Segundo, Blanca
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 6, Issue 2, p. 141-150
Molecular approaches to the study of amino acid biosynthesis in plants
journal, January 1991
- Coruzzi, G. M.
- Plant Science, Vol. 74, Issue 2, p. 145-155
Plant glutamine synthetase complements a glnA mutation in Escherichia coli
journal, June 1986
- DasSarma, S.; Tischer, E.; Goodman, H. M.
- Science, Vol. 232, Issue 4755, p. 1242-1244
Molecular analysis of the alcohol dehydrogenase (Adhl) gene of maize
journal, May 1984
- Dennis, E.S.; Gerlach, W.L.; Pryor, A.J.
- Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 12, Issue 9, p. 3983-4000
Localization of tobacco cytosolic glutamine synthetase enzymes and the corresponding transcripts shows organ- and cell-specific patterns of protein synthesis and gene expression
journal, July 1996
- Dubois, Frederic; Brugiere, Norbert; Sangwan, Rajbir S.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 31, Issue 4, p. 803-817
Structure–function relationships of glutamine synthetases
journal, March 2000
- Eisenberg, David; Gill, Harindarpal S.; Pfluegl, Gaston M.U.
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Protein Structure and Molecular Enzymology, Vol. 1477, Issue 1-2, p. 122-145
 Electroporation of DNA and RNA into plant protoplasts
book, January 1987
- Fromm, Michael; Callis, Judy; Taylor, Loverine P.
- Methods in Enzymology, p. 351-366
Agrobacterium-mediated delivery of infectious maize streak virus into maize plants
journal, January 1987
- Grimsley, Nigel; Hohn, Thomas; Davies, Jeffrey W.
- Nature, Vol. 325, Issue 6100, p. 177-179
The inhibitory effect of oak leaf litter tannins on the growth of fungi, in relation to litter decomposition
journal, August 1971
- Harrison, A. F.
- Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Vol. 3, Issue 3, p. 167-172
Expression of Ti plasmid genes in monocotyledonous plants infected with Agrobacterium tumefaciens
journal, October 1984
- Hooykaas-Van Slogteren, G. M. S.; Hooykaas, P. J. J.; Schilperoort, R. A.
- Nature, Vol. 311, Issue 5988, p. 763-764
Structure and expression of the maize gene encoding the phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase isozyme involved in C4 photosynthesis
journal, May 1989
- Hudspeth, Richard L.; Grula, John W.
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 12, Issue 5, p. 579-589
Over‐expression of cytosolic glutamine synthetase increases photosynthesis and growth at low nitrogen concentrations
journal, May 2001
- Fuentes, Sara I.; Allen, Damian J.; Ortiz‐Lopez, Adriana
- Journal of Experimental Botany, Vol. 52, Issue 358, p. 1071-1081
The role of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase in nitrogen assimilation and possibilities for improvement in the nitrogen utilization of crops
journal, April 2002
- Miflin, Ben J.; Habash, Dimah Z.
- Journal of Experimental Botany, Vol. 53, Issue 370, p. 979-987
Electroporation: Mechanism and transient expression, stable transformation and biological effects in plant protoplasts
journal, February 1991
- Joersbo, Morten; Brunstedt, Janne
- Physiologia Plantarum, Vol. 81, Issue 2, p. 256-264
GATEWAY™ vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation
journal, May 2002
- Karimi, Mansour; Inzé, Dirk; Depicker, Ann
- Trends in Plant Science, Vol. 7, Issue 5, p. 193-195
Cysteine-S-conjugate β-Lyase Activity and Pyridoxal Phosphate Binding Site of Onion Alliin Lyase
journal, January 1997
- Kitamura, Nobuko; Shimomura, Naoya; Iseki, Junji
- Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, Vol. 61, Issue 8, p. 1327-1330
Biosynthesis and secretion of mugineic acid family phytosiderophores in zinc-deficient barley
journal, October 2006
- Suzuki, Motofumi; Takahashi, Michiko; Tsukamoto, Takashi
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 48, Issue 1, p. 85-97
Biological functions of proline in morphogenesis and osmotolerance revealed in antisense transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, April 1999
- Nanjo, Tokihiko; Kobayashi, Masatomo; Yoshiba, Yoshu
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 18, Issue 2, p. 185-193
Synthese von 1.5-Diaza-cyclooctan-dion-(4.8)-dicarbonsäure-(2.6)
journal, April 1954
- Weygand, Friedrich; Dietrich, Heinz-Jürgen
- Chemische Berichte, Vol. 87, Issue 4, p. 482-488
Leaf-specific overexpression of plastidic glutamine synthetase stimulates the growth of transgenic tobacco seedlings
journal, January 2000
- Migge, Andrea; Carrayol, Elisa; Hirel, Bertrand
- Planta, Vol. 210, Issue 2, p. 252-260
Does root glutamine synthetase control plant biomass production in Lotus japonicus L.?
journal, October 1999
- Limami, Anis; Phillipson, Belinda; Ameziane, Rafiqa
- Planta, Vol. 209, Issue 4, p. 495-502
Overexpression of a soybean gene encoding cytosolic glutamine synthetase in shoots of transgenic Lotus corniculatus L. plants triggers changes in ammonium assimilation and plant development
journal, April 1997
- Vincent, Remi; Fraisier, Vincent; Chaillou, Sylvain
- Planta, Vol. 201, Issue 4, p. 424-433
Expression of a conifer glutamine synthetase gene in transgenic poplar
journal, November 1999
- Gallardo, Fernando; Fu, Jianming; Cantón, Francisco R.
- Planta, Vol. 210, Issue 1, p. 19-26
Forcing expression of a soybean root glutamine synthetase gene in tobacco leaves induces a native gene encoding cytosolic enzyme
journal, October 1992
- Hirel, Bertrand; Marsolier, Marie C.; Hoarau, Anne
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 20, Issue 2, p. 207-218
Overproduction of alfalfa glutamine synthetase in transgenic tobacco plants
journal, June 1989
- Eckes, Peter; Schmitt, Petra; Daub, Winfried
- MGG Molecular & General Genetics, Vol. 217, Issue 2-3, p. 263-268
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: