Corrosion prevention of magnesium surfaces via surface conversion treatments using ionic liquids
A method for conversion coating a magnesium-containing surface, the method comprising contacting the magnesium-containing surface with an ionic liquid compound under conditions that result in decomposition of the ionic liquid compound to produce a conversion coated magnesium-containing surface having a substantially improved corrosion resistance relative to the magnesium-containing surface before said conversion coating. Also described are the resulting conversion-coated magnesium-containing surface, as well as mechanical components and devices containing the conversion-coated magnesium-containing surface.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UT-BATTELLE, LLC (Oak Ridge, TN) ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Oct 02
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:The effect of potential bias on the formation of ionic liquid generated surface films on Mg alloys
journal, February 2010
- Howlett, P. C.; Khoo, T.; Mooketsi, G.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 55, Issue 7, p. 2377-2383
Electrochemical reactivity of trihexyl(tetradecyl)phosphonium bis(2,4,4-trimethylpentyl)phosphinate ionic liquid on glassy carbon and AZ31 magnesium alloy
journal, June 2011
- Latham, Julie-Anne; Howlett, Patrick C.; MacFarlane, Douglas R.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 56, Issue 15, p. 5328-5334
Tribological characteristics of aluminum alloys sliding against steel lubricated by ammonium and imidazolium ionic liquids
journal, June 2009
- Qu, Jun; Blau, Peter J.; Dai, Sheng
- Wear, Vol. 267, Issue 5-8, p. 1226-1231
Synthesis and physical property characterisation of phosphonium ionic liquids based on P(O)2(OR)2− and P(O)2(R)2− anions with potential application for corrosion mitigation of magnesium alloys
journal, December 2008
- Sun, Jiazeng; Howlett, Patrick C.; MacFarlane, Douglas R.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 54, Issue 2, p. 254-260
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: