Designed porosity materials in nuclear reactor components
A nuclear fuel pellet with a porous substrate, such as a carbon or tungsten aerogel, on which at least one layer of a fuel containing material is deposited via atomic layer deposition, and wherein the layer deposition is controlled to prevent agglomeration of defects. Further, a method of fabricating a nuclear fuel pellet, wherein the method features the steps of selecting a porous substrate, depositing at least one layer of a fuel containing material, and terminating the deposition when the desired porosity is achieved. Also provided is a nuclear reactor fuel cladding made of a porous substrate, such as silicon carbide aerogel or silicon carbide cloth, upon which layers of silicon carbide are deposited.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UCHICAGO ARGONNE, LLC (Chicago, IL) ANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Sep 03
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 11 NUCLEAR FUEL CYCLE AND FUEL MATERIALS; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Spatially controlled atomic layer deposition in porous materials
patent, November 2012
- Elam, Jeffrey W.; Libera, Joseph A.; Pellin, Michael J.
- US Patent Document 8,318,248
SiC/SiC composites through transient eutectic-phase route for fusion applications
journal, August 2004
- Katoh, Y.; Kohyama, A.; Nozawa, T.
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 329-333, p. 587-591
Microstructural development in cubic silicon carbide during irradiation at elevated temperatures
journal, June 2006
- Katoh, Y.; Hashimoto, N.; Kondo, S.
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 351, Issue 1-3, p. 228-240
Enchanced high-temperature performances of SiC/SiC composites by high densification and crystalline structure
journal, February 2011
- Shimoda, Kazuya; Hinoki, Tatsuya; Kishimoto, Hirotatsu
- Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 71, Issue 3, p. 326-332
Development of the tailored SiC/SiC composites by the combined fabrication process of ICVI and NITE methods
journal, February 2009
- Shimoda, Kazuya; Hinoki, Tatsuya; Katoh, Yutai
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 384, Issue 2, p. 103-108
Effect of neutron irradiation on tensile properties of unidirectional silicon carbide composites
journal, August 2007
- Katoh, Y.; Nozawa, T.; Snead, L. L.
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 367-370, p. 774-779
Microencapsulated fuel technology for commercial light water and advanced reactor application
journal, August 2012
- Terrani, Kurt A.; Snead, Lance L.; Gehin, Jess C.
- Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 427, Issue 1-3, p. 209-224
Cladding for high performance fuel
journal, May 2012
- Hallstadius, Lars; Johnson, Steven; Lahoda, Ed
- Progress in Nuclear Energy, Vol. 57, p. 71-76
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: