Printing transferable components using microstructured elastomeric surfaces with pressure modulated reversible adhesion
In a method of printing a transferable component, a stamp including an elastomeric post having three-dimensional relief features protruding from a surface thereof is pressed against a component on a donor substrate with a first pressure that is sufficient to mechanically deform the relief features and a region of the post between the relief features to contact the component over a first contact area. The stamp is retracted from the donor substrate such that the component is adhered to the stamp. The stamp including the component adhered thereto is pressed against a receiving substrate with a second pressure that is less than the first pressure to contact the component over a second contact area that is smaller than the first contact area. The stamp is then retracted from the receiving substrate to delaminate the component from the stamp and print the component onto the receiving substrate. Related apparatus and stamps are also discussed.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Semprius, Inc. (Durham, NC) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Sep 20
- Research Org:
- Semprius, Inc. Durham, NC (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 42 ENGINEERING; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Pattern transfer printing by kinetic control of adhesion to an elastomeric stamp
patent, May 2011
- Nuzzo, Ralph G.; Rogers, John A.; Menard, Etienne
- US Patent Document 7,943,491
Arrays of ultrathin silicon solar microcells
patent, March 2014
- Rogers, John A.; Rockett, Angus A.; Nuzzo, Ralph
- US Patent Document 8,679,888
From micro to nano contacts in biological attachment devices
journal, September 2003
- Arzt, E.; Gorb, S.; Spolenak, R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 100, Issue 19, p. 10603-10606
Direct measurement of interfacial interactions between semispherical lenses and flat sheets of poly(dimethylsiloxane) and their chemical derivatives
journal, May 1991
- Chaudhury, Manoj K.; Whitesides, George M.
- Langmuir, Vol. 7, Issue 5, p. 1013-1025
Large-scale, heterogeneous integration of nanowire arrays for image sensor circuitry
journal, August 2008
- Fan, Z.; Ho, J. C.; Jacobson, Z. A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 105, Issue 32, p. 11066-11070
Stamp Collapse in Soft Lithography
journal, August 2005
- Huang, Yonggang Y.; Zhou, Weixing; Hsia, K. J.
- Langmuir, Vol. 21, Issue 17, p. 8058-8068
Optimized Structural Designs for Stretchable Silicon Integrated Circuits
journal, December 2009
- Kim, Dae-Hyeong; Liu, Zhuangjian; Kim, Yun-Soung
- Small, Vol. 5, Issue 24, p. 2841-2847
Stretchable and Foldable Silicon Integrated Circuits
journal, April 2008
- Kim, D.-H.; Ahn, J.-H.; Choi, W. M.
- Science, Vol. 320, Issue 5875, p. 507-511
Microstructured elastomeric surfaces with reversible adhesion and examples of their use in deterministic assembly by transfer printing
journal, September 2010
- Kim, S.; Wu, J.; Carlson, A.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 107, Issue 40, p. 17095-17100
Transfer printing by kinetic control of adhesion to an elastomeric stamp
journal, December 2005
- Meitl, Matthew A.; Zhu, Zheng-Tao; Kumar, Vipan
- Nature Materials, Vol. 5, Issue 1, p. 33-38
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: