Alteration and modulation of protein activity by varying post-translational modification
Embodiments of the invention include methods of altering the enzymatic activity or solubility of an extremophilic enzyme or post-translationally modifying a protein of interest via using isolated or partially purified glycosyltransferases and/or post-translational modification proteins, extracts of cells comprising glycosyltransferases and/or post-translational modification proteins, and/or in cells comprising one or more glycosyltransferases and/or post-translational modification proteins.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC (Idaho Falls, ID) INL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- AC07-99ID13727; AC07-05ID14517
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2015 Feb 26
- Research Org:
- Idaho National Lab. (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:The nature of lignocellulosics and their pretreatments for enzymatic hydrolysis
book, January 1982
- Fan, L. T.; Lee, Young-Hyun; Gharpuray, M. M.
- Microbial Reactions, p. 157-187
Development of gas phase bioreactors for the removal of nitrogen oxides from synthetic flue gas streams
journal, October 2002
- Flanagan, William P.; Apel, William A.; Barnes, Joni M.
- Fuel, Vol. 81, Issue 15, p. 1953-1961
Crystallographic and mutational analyses of an extremely acidophilic and acid-stable xylanase: biased distribution of acidic residues and importance of Asp37 for catalysis at low pH
journal, December 1998
- Fushinobu, S.; Ito, K.; Konno, M.
- Protein Engineering Design and Selection, Vol. 11, Issue 12, p. 1121-1128
Pretreatment for enhanced hydrolysis of cellulosic biomass
journal, January 1984
- Grethlein, Hans E.
- Biotechnology Advances, Vol. 2, Issue 1, p. 43-62
Comparison of the economics of acid and enzymatic hydrolysis of newsprint
journal, April 1978
- Grethlein, Hans E.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 503-525
Fungal Upgrading of Wheat Straw for Straw-Thermoplastics Production
journal, January 2004
- Houghton, Tracy P.; Thompson, David N.; Hess, J. Richard
- Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vol. 113, Issue 1-3, p. 71-93
Maltose and Maltodextrin Transport in the Thermoacidophilic Gram-Positive Bacterium Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius Is Mediated by a High-Affinity Transport System That Includes a Maltose Binding Protein Tolerant to Low pH
journal, November 2000
- Hülsmann, A.; Lurz, R.; Scheffel, F.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 182, Issue 22, p. 6292-6301
Purification and Properties of Acid Stable Xylanases from Aspergillus kawachii
journal, January 1992
- Ito, Kiyoshi; Ogasawara, Hironobu; Sugimoto, Takashi
- Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, Vol. 56, Issue 4, p. 547-550
Cloning and transcriptional analysis of the Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus strain 39E maltose ABC transport system
journal, March 2002
- Jones, Chris R.; Ray, Myrna; Strobel, Herbert J.
- Extremophiles, Vol. 6, Issue 4, p. 291-299
journal, October 2003
- Kenealy, William R.; Jeffries, Thomas W.
- Biotechnology Letters, Vol. 25, Issue 19, p. 1619-1623
Partial acid hydrolysis of cellulosic materials as a pretreatment for enzymatic hydrolysis
journal, July 1980
- Knappert, Diane; Grethlein, Hans; Converse, Alvin
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 22, Issue 7, p. 1449-1463
Molecular and biotechnological aspects of xylanases
journal, July 1999
- Kulkarni, Neeta; Shendye, Abhay; Rao, Mala
- FEMS Microbiology Reviews, Vol. 23, Issue 4, p. 411-456
PCR ligation mutagenesis in transformable streptococci: application and efficiency
journal, April 2002
- Lau, Peter C. Y.; Sung, Chang Kyoo; Lee, Janet H.
- Journal of Microbiological Methods, Vol. 49, Issue 2, p. 193-205
Characterization of a β-glycosidase from the thermoacidophilic bacterium Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius
journal, April 2006
- Lauro, Barbara Di; Rossi, Mosè; Moracci, Marco
- Extremophiles, Vol. 10, Issue 4, p. 301-310
Isolation and characterization of a new family 42 β-galactosidase from the thermoacidophilic bacterium Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius: Identification of the active site residues
journal, February 2008
- Di Lauro, Barbara; Strazzulli, Andrea; Perugino, Giuseppe
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Proteins and Proteomics, Vol. 1784, Issue 2, p. 292-301
The acid hydrolysis of sugarcane bagasse hemicellulose to produce xylose, arabinose, glucose and other products
journal, November 2002
- Lavarack, B. P.; Griffin, G. J.; Rodman, D.
- Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 23, Issue 5, p. 367-380
Oxygen effects on thermophilic microbial populations in biofilters treating nitric oxide containing off-gas streams
journal, October 2001
- Lee, Brady D.; Apel, William A.; Smith, William A.
- Environmental Progress, Vol. 20, Issue 3, p. 157-166
The Effect of Flow Rate of Compressed Hot Water on Xylan, Lignin, and Total Mass Removal from Corn Stover
journal, September 2003
- Liu, Chaogang; Wyman, Charles E.
- Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 42, Issue 21, p. 5409-5416
Baculovirus systems for the expression of human gene products
journal, October 1993
- Luckow, Verne A.
- Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 4, Issue 5, p. 564-572
Overview and Evaluation of Fuel Ethanol from Cellulosic Biomass: Technology, Economics, the Environment, and Policy
journal, November 1996
- Lynd, Lee R.
- Annual Review of Energy and the Environment, Vol. 21, Issue 1, p. 403-465
Potential and utilization of thermophiles and thermostable enzymes in biorefining
journal, January 2007
- Turner, Pernilla; Mamo, Gashaw; Karlsson, Eva
- Microbial Cell Factories, Vol. 6, Issue 1, 9
The first description of an archaeal hemicellulase: the xylanase from Thermococcus zilligii strain AN1
journal, November 1999
- Uhl, Andreas M.; Daniel, Roy M.
- Extremophiles, Vol. 3, Issue 4, p. 263-267
Xylanases in bleaching: From an idea to the industry
journal, March 1994
- Viikari, Liisa; Kantelinen, Anne; Sundquist, Jorma
- FEMS Microbiology Reviews, Vol. 13, Issue 2-3, p. 335-350
Characterization of a new bacteriophage which infects bacteria of the genus Acidiphilium
journal, November 1993
- Ward, T. E.; Bruhn, D. F.; Shean, M. L.
- Journal of General Virology, Vol. 74, Issue 11, p. 2419-2425
Electrotransformation of Acidophilic, Heterotrophic, Gram-negative Bacteria
book, January 2000
- Ward, Thomas E.; Eynard, Natalie; Teissié, Justin
- Electrotransformation of Bacteria, p. 94-103
Prediction of protein function from protein sequence and structure
journal, January 1999
- Whisstock, James C.; Lesk, Arthur M.
- Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics, Vol. 36, Issue 3, p. 307-340
Conversion of a β-Ketoacyl Synthase to a Malonyl Decarboxylase by Replacement of the Active-Site Cysteine with Glutamine
journal, September 1999
- Witkowski, Andrzej; Joshi, Anil K.; Lindqvist, Ylva
- Biochemistry, Vol. 38, Issue 36, p. 11643-11650
A new class of biodegradable materials: Poly-3-hydroxy-butyrate/steam exploded straw fiber composites. I. Thermal and impact behavior
journal, September 1993
- Avella, Maurizio; Martuscelli, Ezio; Pascucci, Beniamino
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 49, Issue 12, p. 2091-2103
Interlaboratory testing of methods for assay of xylanase activity
journal, May 1992
- Bailey, Michael J.; Biely, Peter; Poutanen, Kaisa
- Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 23, Issue 3, p. 257-270
Molecular diversity of thermophilic cellulolytic and hemicellulolytic bacteria
journal, February 1999
- Bergquist, Peter L.; Gibbs, Moreland D.; Morris, Daniel D.
- FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Vol. 28, Issue 2, p. 99-110
Microbial β-Glucosidases: Cloning, Properties, and Applications
journal, January 2002
- Bhatia, Yukti; Mishra, Saroj; Bisaria, V. S.
- Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, Vol. 22, Issue 4, p. 375-407
Xylanases, xylanase families and extremophilic xylanases
journal, January 2005
- Collins, Tony; Gerday, Charles; Feller, Georges
- FEMS Microbiology Reviews, Vol. 29, Issue 1, p. 3-23
Glycosidases and glycosyl transferases in glycoside and oligosaccharide synthesis
journal, February 1998
- Crout, David H. G.; Vic, Gabin
- Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, Vol. 2, Issue 1, p. 98-111
Gene cloning, sequencing, and characterization of a family 9 endoglucanase (CelA) with an unusual pattern of activity from the thermoacidophile Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius ATCC27009
journal, December 2002
- K., Eckert; F., Zielinski; Leggio, L. Lo
- Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol. 60, Issue 4, p. 428-436
Specificity of the protein secretory apparatus: secretion of the heat-labile enterotoxin B subunit pentamers by different species of Gram- bacteria
journal, January 1995
- Michel, Linda Overbye; Sandkvist, Maria; Bagdasarian, Michael
- Gene, Vol. 152, Issue 1, p. 41-45
Industrial Scale-Up of pH-Controlled Liquid Hot Water Pretreatment of Corn Fiber for Fuel Ethanol Production
journal, January 2005
- Mosier, Nathan S.; Hendrickson, Richard; Brewer, Mark
- Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vol. 125, Issue 2, p. 77-98
Purification and characterization of an acidophilic xylanase from Aureobasidium pullulans var. melanigenum and sequence analysis of the encoding gene
journal, January 2001
- Ohta, Kazuyoshi; Moriyama, Satoshi; Tanaka, Hidenori
- Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Vol. 92, Issue 3, p. 262-270
Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of cellulose: Effect of ethanol on enzymatic saccharification of cellulose
journal, April 1985
- Ooshima, Hiroshi; Ishitani, Yohsuke; Harano, Yoshio
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 27, Issue 4, p. 389-397
Biotransformation of Toxic Organic and Inorganic Contaminants by Halophilic Bacteria
book, January 2004
- Peyton, Brent M.; Mormile, Melanie R.; Alva, Victor
- Halophilic Microorganisms, p. 315-331
Biomechanical and Biochemical Pulping of Sugarcane Bagasse with Ceriporiopsis subvermispora Fungal and Xylanase Pretreatments
journal, March 2001
- Ramos, Juan; González, Mercedes; Ramírez, Felipe
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 49, Issue 3, p. 1180-1186
Quantitative Saccharification of Wood and Cellulose
journal, January 1945
- Saeman, Jerome F.; Bubl, Janet L.; Harris, Elwin E.
- Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Analytical Edition, Vol. 17, Issue 1, p. 35-37
Dilute Acid Pretreatment, Enzymatic Saccharification, and Fermentation of Rice Hulls to Ethanol
journal, January 2005
- Saha, Badal C.; Iten, Loren B.; Cotta, Michael A.
- Biotechnology Progress, Vol. 21, Issue 3, p. 816-822
Rapid production of thermostable cellulase-free xylanase by a strain of Bacillus subtilis and its properties
journal, June 2002
- Sá-Pereira, Paula; Mesquita, Alexandra; Duarte, José C.
- Enzyme and Microbial Technology, Vol. 30, Issue 7, p. 924-933
X-ray Structures of the Maltose–Maltodextrin-binding Protein of the Thermoacidophilic Bacterium Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius Provide Insight into Acid Stability of Proteins
journal, January 2004
- Schäfer, Karsten; Magnusson, Ulrika; Scheffel, Frank
- Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 335, Issue 1, p. 261-274
Functional reconstitution of a maltose ATP-binding cassette transporter from the thermoacidophilic gram-positive bacterium Alicyclobacillus acidocaldarius
journal, May 2004
- Scheffel, Frank; Fleischer, Rebecca; Schneider, Erwin
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, Vol. 1656, Issue 1, p. 57-65
Dilute-Sulfuric Acid Pretreatment of Corn Stover in Pilot-Scale Reactor
book, January 2003
- Schell, Daniel J.; Farmer, Jody; Newman, Millie
- Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals
Melamine Deaminase and Atrazine Chlorohydrolase: 98 Percent Identical but Functionally Different
journal, April 2001
- Seffernick, J. L.; de Souza, M. L.; Sadowsky, M. J.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 183, Issue 8, p. 2405-2410
An extremely thermostable xylanase from the thermophilic eubacterium Thermotoga
journal, July 1991
- Simpson, H D; Haufler, U R; Daniel, R M
- Biochemical Journal, Vol. 277, Issue 2, p. 413-417
Cellulase-free xylanases from Bacillus and other microorganisms
journal, February 2000
- Subramaniyan, S.; Prema, P.
- FEMS Microbiology Letters, Vol. 183, Issue 1, p. 1-7
Glycosyl hydrolases from hyperthermophiles
journal, February 1997
- Sunna, Anwar; Moracci, Marco; Rossi, Mose
- Extremophiles, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 2-13
Production of a cellulase-free xylanase from agricultural waste materials by a thermotolerant Streptomyces sp.
journal, October 2001
- Techapun, Charin; Sinsuwongwat, Suphawat; Poosaran, Naiyatat
- Biotechnology Letters, Vol. 23, Issue 20, p. 1685-1689
Comparison of pretreatment methods on the basis of available surface area
journal, January 1992
- Thompson, David N.; Chen, Hsin-Chih; Grethlein, Hans E.
- Bioresource Technology, Vol. 39, Issue 2, p. 155-163
In vitro degradation of natural insoluble lignin in aqueous media by the extracellular peroxidases of Phanerochaete chrysosporium
journal, March 1998
- Thompson, David N.; Hames, Bonnie R.; Reddy, C. Adinarayana
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 57, Issue 6, p. 704-717
Measurement of fumonisins in corn with a fiber optic fluoroimmunosensor
conference, May 1997
- Thompson, Vicki S.; Maragos, Chris M.; Thompson, Richard B.
- Advances in Fluorescence Sensing Technology III, Vol. 2980
Purification and Characterization of a Novel Thermo-Alkali-Stable Catalase from Thermus brockianus
journal, January 2003
- Thompson, Vicki S.; Schaller, Kastli D.; Apel, William A.
- Biotechnology Progress, Vol. 19, Issue 4, p. 1292-1299
Regulation of the central glycolytic genes in Bacillus subtilis: binding of the repressor CggR to its single DNA target sequence is modulated by fructose-1,6-bisphosphate
journal, March 2003
- Doan, Thierry; Aymerich, Stéphane
- Molecular Microbiology, Vol. 47, Issue 6, p. 1709-1721
Two Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate Dehydrogenases with Opposite Physiological Roles in a Nonphotosynthetic Bacterium
journal, May 2000
- Fillinger, Sabine; Boschi-Muller, Sandrine; Azza, Saı̈d
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 275, Issue 19, p. 14031-14037
Crystal structures of the effector-binding domain of repressor Central glycolytic gene Regulator from Bacillus subtilis reveal ligand-induced structural changes upon binding of several glycolytic intermediates
journal, August 2008
- Řezáčová, Pavlína; Kožíšek, Milan; Moy, Shiu F.
- Molecular Microbiology, Vol. 69, Issue 4, p. 895-910
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: