Layered reactive particles with controlled geometries, energies, and reactivities, and methods for making the same
An energetic composite having a plurality of reactive particles each having a reactive multilayer construction formed by successively depositing reactive layers on a rod-shaped substrate having a longitudinal axis, dividing the reactive-layer-deposited rod-shaped substrate into a plurality of substantially uniform longitudinal segments, and removing the rod-shaped substrate from the longitudinal segments, so that the reactive particles have a controlled, substantially uniform, cylindrically curved or otherwise rod-contoured geometry which facilitates handling and improves its packing fraction, while the reactant multilayer construction controls the stability, reactivity and energy density of the energetic composite.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (Baltimore, MD) OSTI
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 25
- Research Org:
- THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY, Baltimore, MD (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Enabling and controlling slow reaction velocities in low-density compacts of multilayer reactive particles
journal, June 2011
- Fritz, Gregory M.; Joress, Howie; Weihs, Timothy P.
- Combustion and Flame, Vol. 158, Issue 6, p. 1084-1088
Effect of varying bilayer spacing distribution on reaction heat and velocity in reactive Al/Ni multilayers
journal, April 2009
- Knepper, Robert; Snyder, Murray R.; Fritz, Greg
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, Issue 8, Article No. 083504
Thermal and microstructural effects of welding metallic glasses by self-propagating reactions in multilayer foils
journal, August 2005
- Swiston, A. J.; Besnoin, E.; Duckham, A.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 53, Issue 13, p. 3713-3719
Investigating the effect of applied pressure on reactive multilayer foil joining
journal, October 2004
- Wang, J.; Besnoin, E.; Knio, O. M.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 52, Issue 18, p. 5265-5274
Effect of intermixing on self-propagating exothermic reactions in Al/Ni nanolaminate foils
journal, February 2000
- Gavens, A. J.; Van Heerden, D.; Mann, A. B.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 87, Issue 3, p. 1255-1263
The deposition and analysis of pyrotechnic devices deposited by magnetron sputtering
journal, October 1993
- Kelly, P. J.; Tinston, S. F.; Arnell, R. D.
- Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 60, Issue 1-3, p. 597-602
Pyrotechnic devices by unbalanced magnetron sputtering
journal, May 1994
- Kelly, P. J.; Tinston, S. F.
- Vacuum, Vol. 45, Issue 5, p. 507-511
Joining bulk metallic glass using reactive multilayer foils
journal, June 2003
- Swiston, A. J.; Hufnagel, T. C.; Weihs, T. P.
- Scripta Materialia, Vol. 48, Issue 12, p. 1575-1580
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: