Methods of refining and producing isomerized fatty acid esters and fatty acids from natural oil feedstocks
Methods are provided for refining natural oil feedstocks and producing isomerized esters and acids. The methods comprise providing a C4-C18 unsaturated fatty ester or acid, and isomerizing the fatty acid ester or acid in the presence of heat or an isomerization catalyst to form an isomerized fatty ester or acid. In some embodiments, the methods comprise forming a dibasic ester or dibasic acid prior to the isomerizing step. In certain embodiments, the methods further comprise hydrolyzing the dibasic ester to form a dibasic acid. In certain embodiments, the olefin is formed by reacting the feedstock in the presence of a metathesis catalyst under conditions sufficient to form a metathesized product comprising olefins and esters, separating the olefins from the esters in the metathesized product, and transesterifying the esters in the presence of an alcohol to form a transesterified product having unsaturated esters.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc. (Woodridge, IL) DOEEE
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 14
- Research Org:
- Elevance Renewable Sciences, Inc., Woodridge, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 09 BIOMASS FUELS; 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Improved cross-metathesis of acrylate esters catalyzed by 2nd generation ruthenium carbene complexes
journal, December 2005
- Forman, Grant S.; Tooze, Robert P.
- Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, Vol. 690, Issue 24-25, p. 5863-5866
Molybdenum and Tungsten Imido Alkylidene Complexes as Efficient Olefin-Metathesis Catalysts
journal, October 2003
- Schrock, Richard R.; Hoveyda, Amir H.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 42, Issue 38, p. 4592-4633
Developments in the chemistry of tris(hydroxymethyl)phosphine
journal, March 2010
- James, Brian R.; Lorenzini, Fabio
- Coordination Chemistry Reviews, Vol. 254, Issue 5-6, p. 420-430
A simple oxidative procedure for the removal of ruthenium residues from metathesis reaction products
journal, January 2010
- Knight, David W.; Morgan, Ian R.; Proctor, Anthony J.
- Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 51, Issue 4, p. 638-640
Purification technique for the removal of ruthenium from olefin metathesis reaction products
journal, May 1999
- Maynard, Heather D.; Grubbs, Robert H.
- Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 40, Issue 22, p. 4137-4140
Metathesis of unsaturated fatty acid esters and fatty oils
journal, May 1994
- Mol, J. C.
- Journal of Molecular Catalysis, Vol. 90, Issue 1-2, p. 185-199
Practical dihydroxylation and C–C cleavage of unsaturated fatty acids
journal, December 1999
- Oakley, Michael A.; Woodward, Simon; Coupland, Keith
- Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, Vol. 150, Issue 1-2, p. 105-111
Double bond oxidative cleavage of monoenic fatty chains
journal, April 2003
- Santacesaria, E.; Ambrosio, M.; Sorrentino, A.
- Catalysis Today, Vol. 79-80, p. 59-65
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: