Mechanically robust, electrically conductive ultralow-density carbon nanotube-based aerogels
A method of making a mechanically robust, electrically conductive ultralow-density carbon nanotube-based aerogel, including the steps of dispersing nanotubes in an aqueous media or other media to form a suspension, adding reactants and catalyst to the suspension to create a reaction mixture, curing the reaction mixture to form a wet gel, drying the wet gel to produce a dry gel, and pyrolyzing the dry gel to produce the mechanically robust, electrically conductive ultralow-density carbon nanotube-based aerogel. The aerogel is mechanically robust, electrically conductive, and ultralow-density, and is made of a porous carbon material having 5 to 95% by weight carbon nanotubes and 5 to 95% carbon binder.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (Livermore, CA) LLNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Feb 12
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:New Class of Carbon-Nanotube Aerogel Electrodes for Electrochemical Power Sources
journal, February 2008
- Bordjiba, T.; Mohamedi, M.; Dao, L. H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 815-819
Carbon Nanotube Aerogels
journal, March 2007
- Bryning, M. B.; Milkie, D. E.; Islam, M. F.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 5, p. 661-664
Synthesis and characterization of tin oxide/carbon aerogel composite electrodes for electrochemical supercapacitors
journal, October 2007
- Hwang, Sung-Woo; Hyun, Sang-Hoon
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 172, Issue 1, p. 451-459
Depth-sensing indentation of low-density brittle nanoporous solids
journal, July 2009
- Kucheyev, S. O.; Hamza, A. V.; Satcher Jr., J. H.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, Issue 12, p. 3472-3480
Metal-carbon aerogels as catalysts and catalyst supports
book, January 2000
- Maldonado-Hòdar, F. J.; Moreno-Castilla, C.; Rivera-Utrilla, J.
- Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, Vol. 130, p. 1007-1012
Group 6 metal oxide-carbon aerogels. Their synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity in the skeletal isomerization of 1-butene
journal, July 1999
- Moreno-Castilla, Carlos; José Maldonado-Hódar, Francisco; Rivera-Utrilla, José
- Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 183, Issue 2, p. 345-356
Carbon aerogels for electrochemical applications
journal, April 1998
- Pekala, R. W.; Farmer, J. C.; Alviso, C. T.
- Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 225, p. 74-80
Planar fibre reinforced carbon aerogels for application in PEM fuel cells
journal, May 2001
- Petričević, R.; Glora, M.; Fricke, J.
- Carbon, Vol. 39, Issue 6, p. 857-867
Mechanically robust and electrically conductive carbon nanotube foams
journal, February 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Kucheyev, Sergei O.; Satcher, Joe H.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 94, Issue 7, Article No. 073115
Properties of single-walled carbon nanotube-based aerogels as a function of nanotube loading
journal, October 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Pauzauskie, Peter J.; Kucheyev, Sergei O.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, Issue 17, p. 5131-5136
Fast hydrogen generation from NaBH4 hydrolysis catalyzed by carbon aerogels supported cobalt nanoparticles
journal, August 2013
- Zhu, Jie; Li, Rong; Niu, Weiling
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, Issue 25, p. 10864-10870
Method for sorption and desorption of molecular gas contained by storage sites of nano-filament laded reticulated aerogel
patent, June 2005
- Struthers, Ralph; Chang, David; Toossi, Reza
- US Patent Document 6,906,003
Aerogel and xerogel composites for use as carbon anodes
patent, August 2008
- Cooper, John; Tillotson, Thomas; Hrubesh, Lawrence
- US Patent Document 7,410,718
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: