Nanopatterned articles produced using surface-reconstructed block copolymer films
Nanopatterned surfaces are prepared by a method that includes forming a block copolymer film on a substrate, annealing and surface reconstructing the block copolymer film to create an array of cylindrical voids, depositing a metal on the surface-reconstructed block copolymer film, and heating the metal-coated block copolymer film to redistribute at least some of the metal into the cylindrical voids. When very thin metal layers and low heating temperatures are used, metal nanodots can be formed. When thicker metal layers and higher heating temperatures are used, the resulting metal structure includes nanoring-shaped voids. The nanopatterned surfaces can be transferred to the underlying substrates via etching, or used to prepare nanodot- or nanoring-decorated substrate surfaces.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS (Boston, MA) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jul 17
- Research Org:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS, Boston, MA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Nanotailored Crystalline Morphology in Hexagonally Perforated Layers of a Self-Assembled PS-b-PEO Diblock Copolymer
journal, April 2002
- Zhu, Lei; Huang, Ping; Chen, William Y.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 35, Issue 9, p. 3553-3562
New Approaches to Nanofabrication: Molding, Printing, and Other Techniques
journal, April 2005
- Gates, Byron D.; Xu, Qiaobing; Stewart, Michael
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 105, Issue 4, p. 1171-1196
Ordering and Melting of Block Copolymer Spherical Domains in 2 and 3 Dimensions
journal, May 2003
- Segalman, Rachel A.; Hexemer, Alexander; Hayward, Ryan C.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 36, Issue 9, p. 3272-3288
Three-Dimensional Self-Assembly of Spherical Block Copolymer Domains into V-Shaped Grooves
journal, October 2006
- Chuang, Vivian P.; Cheng, Joy Y.; Savas, Tim A.
- Nano Letters, Vol. 6, Issue 10, p. 2332-2337
Nanoparticle-Induced Phase Transitions in Diblock-Copolymer Films
journal, November 2005
- Kim, B. J.; Chiu, J. J.; Yi, G.-R.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 21, p. 2618-2622
Enabling nanotechnology with self assembled block copolymer patterns
journal, October 2003
- Park, Cheolmin; Yoon, Jongseung; Thomas, Edwin L.
- Polymer, Vol. 44, Issue 22, p. 6725-6760
Phase transition behavior in thin films of block copolymers by use of immiscible solvent vapors
journal, January 2011
- Kim, Bokyung; Hong, Sung Woo; Park, Soojin
- Soft Matter, Vol. 7, Issue 2, p. 443-447
Large Area Orientation of Block Copolymer Microdomains in Thin Films via Directional Crystallization of a Solvent
journal, April 2001
- Park, Cheolmin; De Rosa, Claudio; Thomas, Edwin L.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 34, Issue 8, p. 2602-2606
Diblock Copolymer Thin Film Melts on Striped, Heterogeneous Surfaces: Parallel, Perpendicular and Mixed Lamellar Morphologies
journal, February 1999
- Pereira, G. G.; Williams, D. R. M.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 32, Issue 3, p. 758-764
Epitaxial self-assembly of block copolymers on lithographically defined nanopatterned substrates
journal, July 2003
- Ouk Kim, Sang; Solak, Harun H.; Stoykovich, Mark P.
- Nature, Vol. 424, Issue 6947, p. 411-414
Modeling copolymer adsorption on laterally heterogeneous surfaces
journal, February 1991
- Huang, Kanglin; Balazs, Anna C.
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 66, Issue 5, p. 620-623
Block copolymers and conventional lithography
journal, September 2006
- Stoykovich, Mark P.; Nealey, Paul F.
- Materials Today, Vol. 9, Issue 9, p. 20-29
One step fabrication and characterization of platinum nanopore electrode ensembles formed via amphiphilic block copolymer self-assembly
journal, October 2006
- Wang, Chengyin; Shao, Xiaoqiu; Liu, Qingxiu
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 52, Issue 2, p. 704-709
Guided Self-Assembly of Symmetric Diblock Copolymer Films on Chemically Nanopatterned Substrates
journal, December 2000
- Yang, Xiao M.; Peters, Richard D.; Nealey, Paul F.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 33, Issue 26, p. 9575-9582
Spontaneous Vertical Ordering and Pyrolytic Formation of Nanoscopic Ceramic Patterns from Poly(styrene-b-ferrocenylsilane)
journal, February 2003
- Temple, K.; Kulbaba, K.; Power-Billard, K. N.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 15, Issue 4, p. 297-300
Interfacial Energy Effects on the Electric Field Alignment of Symmetric Diblock Copolymers
journal, August 2003
- Xu, Ting; Hawker, Craig J.; Russell, Thomas P.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 36, Issue 16, p. 6178-6182
A Simple Route to Highly Oriented and Ordered Nanoporous Block Copolymer Templates
journal, April 2008
- Park, Soojin; Wang, Jia-Yu; Kim, Bokyung
- ACS Nano, Vol. 2, Issue 4, p. 766-772
Nanoporous Gold Films Created Using Templates Formed from Self-Assembled Structures of Inorganic–Block Copolymer Micelles
journal, May 2003
- Haupt, M.; Miller, S.; Glass, R.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 15, Issue 10, p. 829-831
Poly(ferrocenyldimethylsilanes) for Reactive Ion Etch Barrier Applications
journal, February 2001
- Lammertink, Rob G. H.; Hempenius, Mark A.; Chan, Vanessa Z.-H.
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 2, p. 429-434
Large-Scale Alignment of ABC Block Copolymer Microdomains via Solvent Vapor Treatment
journal, February 2000
- Fukunaga, Kenji; Elbs, Hubert; Magerle, Robert
- Macromolecules, Vol. 33, Issue 3, p. 947-953
Additive-Driven Phase-Selective Chemistry in Block Copolymer Thin Films: The Convergence of Top–Down and Bottom–Up Approaches
journal, June 2004
- Du, P.; Li, M.; Douki, K.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 16, Issue 12, p. 953-957
Block Copolymer Thin Films: Physics and Applications
journal, August 2001
- Fasolka, Michael J.; Mayes, Anne M.
- Annual Review of Materials Research, Vol. 31, Issue 1, p. 323-355
Thin Diblock Copolymer Films on Chemically Heterogeneous Surfaces
journal, October 1997
- Heier, Jakob; Kramer, Edward J.; Walheim, Stefan
- Macromolecules, Vol. 30, Issue 21, p. 6610-6614
Block copolymers as bilevel resists
journal, September 1985
- Hartney, M. A.; Novembre, A. E.; , F. S. Bates
- Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B: Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures, Vol. 3, Issue 5, Article No. 1346
Lithography with a mask of block copolymer microstructures
journal, March 1998
- Harrison, Christopher
- Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B: Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures, Vol. 16, Issue 2, Article No. 544
Nanoscale patterning using self-assembled polymers for semiconductor applications
journal, January 2001
- Guarini, K. W.; Black, C. T.; Milkove, K. R.
- Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B: Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures, Vol. 19, Issue 6, Article No. 2784
Ultrahigh Pore Density Nanoporous Films Produced by the Phase Separation of Eutectic Al–Si for Template-Assisted Growth of Nanowire Array
journal, August 2004
- Fukutani, K.; Tanji, K.; Motoi, T.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 16, Issue 16, p. 1456-1460
Orientation of self-assembled block copolymer cylinders perpendicular to electric field in mesoscale film
journal, February 2003
- Elhadj, S.; Woody, J. W.; Niu, V. S.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 82, Issue 6, p. 871-873
Ordered Bicontinuous Nanoporous and Nanorelief Ceramic Films from Self Assembling Polymer Precursors
journal, November 1999
- Chan, Vanessa Z.-H.; Hoffman, James; Lee, Victor Y.
- Science, Vol. 286, Issue 5445, p. 1716-1719
Integration of self-assembled diblock copolymers for semiconductor capacitor fabrication
journal, July 2001
- Black, C. T.; Guarini, K. W.; Milkove, K. R.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 79, Issue 3, p. 409-411
Nanofabrication of integrated magnetoelectronic devices using patterned self-assembled copolymer templates
journal, October 2002
- Bal, M.; Ursache, A.; Tuominen, M. T.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, Issue 18, p. 3479-3481
Propagation of Nanopatterned Substrate Templated Ordering of Block Copolymers in Thick Films
journal, February 2001
- Rockford, L.; Mochrie, S. G. J.; Russell, T. P.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 34, Issue 5, p. 1487-1492
Fabrication Approaches for Generating Complex Micro- and Nanopatterns on Polymeric Surfaces
journal, March 2008
- del Campo, Aránzazu; Arzt, Eduard
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 108, Issue 3, p. 911-945
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: