Mesoporous metal oxide graphene nanocomposite materials
A nanocomposite material formed of graphene and a mesoporous metal oxide having a demonstrated specific capacity of more than 200 F/g with particular utility when employed in supercapacitor applications. A method for making these nanocomposite materials by first forming a mixture of graphene, a surfactant, and a metal oxide precursor, precipitating the metal oxide precursor with the surfactant from the mixture to form a mesoporous metal oxide. The mesoporous metal oxide is then deposited onto a surface of the graphene.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Battelle Memorial Institute (Richland, WA) PNNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2009 Sep 03
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Nanostructured materials for advanced energy conversion and storage devices
journal, May 2005
- Aricò, Antonino Salvatore; Bruce, Peter; Scrosati, Bruno
- Nature Materials, Vol. 4, Issue 5, p. 366-377
journal, April 2004
- Armstrong, A. Robert; Armstrong, Graham; Canales, Jesús
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 43, Issue 17, p. 2286-2288
TiO2(B) Nanowires as an Improved Anode Material for Lithium-Ion Batteries Containing LiFePO4 or LiNi0.5Mn1.5O4 Cathodes and a Polymer Electrolyte
journal, October 2006
- Armstrong, G.; Armstrong, A. R.; Bruce, P. G.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 19, p. 2597-2600
Structural evolution during the reaction of Li with nano-sized rutile type TiO2 at room temperature
journal, February 2007
- Baudrin, E.; Cassaignon, S.; Koelsch, M.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 9, Issue 2, p. 337-342
Purification and size-selection of carbon nanotubes
journal, January 1997
- Bonard, Jean-Marc; Stora, Thierry; Salvetat, Jean-Paul
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 9, Issue 10, p. 827-831
Mechanically Strong, Electrically Conductive, and Biocompatible Graphene Paper
journal, July 2008
- Chen, Haiqun; Müller, Marc B.; Gilmore, Kerry J.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 20, Issue 18, p. 3557-3561
Preparation and characterization of graphene oxide paper
journal, July 2007
- Dikin, Dmitriy A.; Stankovich, Sasha; Zimney, Eric J.
- Nature, Vol. 448, Issue 7152, p. 457-460
RuO2-wired high-rate nanoparticulate TiO2 (anatase): Suppression of particle growth using silica
journal, June 2008
- Erjavec, B.; Dominko, R.; Umek, P.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 10, Issue 6, p. 926-929
Electronic Transport Properties of Individual Chemically Reduced Graphene Oxide Sheets
journal, November 2007
- Gomez-Navarro, Cristina; Weitz, R. Thomas; Bittner, Alexander M.
- Nano Letters, Vol. 7, Issue 11, p. 3499-3503
Superior Electrode Performance of Nanostructured Mesoporous TiO2 (Anatase) through Efficient Hierarchical Mixed Conducting Networks
journal, August 2007
- Guo, Y.-G.; Hu, Y.-S.; Sigle, W.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 16, p. 2087-2091
High Lithium Electroactivity of Nanometer-Sized Rutile TiO2
journal, June 2006
- Hu, Y.-S.; Kienle, L.; Guo, Y.-G.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 11, p. 1421-1426
Improved Electrode Performance of Porous LiFePO4 Using RuO2 as an Oxidic Nanoscale Interconnect
journal, August 2007
- Hu, Y.-S.; Guo, Y.-G.; Dominko, R.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 15, p. 1963-1966
Self-organizing high-density single-walled carbon nanotube arrays from surfactant suspensions
journal, August 2004
- Huang, Limin; Cui, Xiaodong; Dukovic, Gordana
- Nanotechnology, Vol. 15, Issue 11, p. 1450-1454
Oriented Nanostructures for Energy Conversion and Storage
journal, September 2008
- Liu, Jun; Cao, Guozhong; Yang, Zhenguo
- ChemSusChem, Vol. 1, Issue 8-9, p. 676-697
Template-Free Synthesis of SnO2 Hollow Nanostructures with High Lithium Storage Capacity
journal, September 2006
- Lou, X. W.; Wang, Y.; Yuan, C.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 17, p. 2325-2329
Nanoionics: ion transport and electrochemical storage in confined systems
journal, November 2005
- Maier, J.
- Nature Materials, Vol. 4, Issue 11, p. 805-815
Single Sheet Functionalized Graphene by Oxidation and Thermal Expansion of Graphite
journal, September 2007
- McAllister, Michael J.; Li, Je-Luen; Adamson, Douglas H.
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 18, p. 4396-4404
A Mesoporous Nanocomposite of TiO2 and Carbon Nanotubes as a High-Rate Li-Intercalation Electrode Material
journal, January 2006
- Moriguchi, I.; Hidaka, R.; Yamada, H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 1, p. 69-73
Carbon-coated mesoporous silica with hydrophobicity and electrical conductivity
journal, January 2008
- Nishihara, Hirotomo; Fukura, Yu; Inde, Kouta
- Carbon, Vol. 46, Issue 1, p. 48-53
Electric Field Effect in Atomically Thin Carbon Films
journal, October 2004
- Novoselov, K. S.
- Science, Vol. 306, Issue 5696, p. 666-669
Specific surface area of carbon nanotubes and bundles of carbon nanotubes
journal, April 2001
- Peigney, A.; Laurent, Ch.; Flahaut, E.
- Carbon, Vol. 39, Issue 4, p. 507-514
Improved electrochemical performance of a LiFePO4-based composite cathode
journal, August 2001
- Prosini, Pier Paolo; Zane, Daniela; Pasquali, Mauro
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 46, Issue 23, p. 3517-3523
Functionalized graphene sheets for polymer nanocomposites
journal, May 2008
- Ramanathan, T.; Abdala, A. A.; Stankovich, S.
- Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 3, Issue 6, p. 327-331
SnO2-carbon composites for lithium-ion battery anodes
journal, June 2001
- Read, J.; Foster, D.; Wolfenstine, J.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 96, Issue 2, p. 277-281
Room temperature synthesis and Li insertion into nanocrystalline rutile TiO2
journal, August 2006
- Reddy, M. Anji; Kishore, M. Satya; Pralong, V.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 8, Issue 8, p. 1299-1303
Graphene-based composite materials
journal, July 2006
- Stankovich, Sasha; Dikin, Dmitriy A.; Dommett, Geoffrey H. B.
- Nature, Vol. 442, Issue 7100, p. 282-286
Characteristics of graphene-layer encapsulated nanoparticles fabricated using laser ablation method
journal, April 2008
- Ou, Q.; Tanaka, T.; Mesko, M.
- Diamond and Related Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 4-5, p. 664-668
Issues and challenges facing rechargeable lithium batteries
journal, November 2001
- Tarascon, J.-M.; Armand, M.
- Nature, Vol. 414, Issue 6861, p. 359-367
Graphene−Silica Composite Thin Films as Transparent Conductors
- Watcharotone, Supinda; Dikin, Dmitriy A; Stankovich, Sasha
- Nano Letters, Vol. 7, Issue 7, p. 1888–1892
Large Reversible Li Storage of Graphene Nanosheet Families for Use in Rechargeable Lithium Ion Batteries
journal, August 2008
- Yoo, EunJoo; Kim, Jedeok; Hosono, Eiji
- Nano Letters, Vol. 8, Issue 8, p. 2277-2282
Pseudocapacitive Lithium Storage in TiO2(B)
journal, March 2005
- Zukalová, Markéta; Kalbáč, Martin; Kavan, Ladislav
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 5, p. 1248-1255
Self-Assembled TiO 2 –Graphene Hybrid Nanostructures for Enhanced Li-Ion Insertion
journal, March 2009
- Wang, Donghai; Choi, Daiwon; Li, Juan
- ACS Nano, Vol. 3, Issue 4, p. 907-914
Dispersion of Sn and SnO on carbon anodes
journal, September 2000
- Lee, Jim Yang; Zhang, Ruifen; Liu, Zhaolin
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 90, Issue 1, p. 70-75
In situ chemical synthesis of SnO2–graphene nanocomposite as anode materials for lithium-ion batteries
journal, October 2009
- Yao, Jane; Shen, Xiaoping; Wang, Bei
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 11, Issue 10, p. 1849-1852
Mesoporous tin oxides as lithium intercalation anode materials
journal, January 2002
- Yu, Aishui; Frech, Roger
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 104, Issue 1, p. 97-100
Li-ion batteries from LiFePO4 cathode and anatase/graphene composite anode for stationary energy storage
journal, March 2010
- Choi, Daiwon; Wang, Donghai; Viswanathan, Vish V.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 12, Issue 3, p. 378-381
Direct synthesis of uniform mesoporous carbons from the carbonization of as-synthesized silica/triblock copolymer nanocomposites
journal, January 2004
- Kim, Jaeyun; Lee, Jinwoo; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Carbon, Vol. 42, Issue 12-13, p. 2711-2719
Electrochemical characteristics of graphite coated with tin-oxide and copper by fluidised-bed chemical vapour deposition
journal, April 2002
- Lee, Joong Kee; Ryu, D. H.; Ju, Jeh Beck
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 107, Issue 1, p. 90-97
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: