Nanowire mesh solar fuels generator
This disclosure provides systems, methods, and apparatus related to a nanowire mesh solar fuels generator. In one aspect, a nanowire mesh solar fuels generator includes (1) a photoanode configured to perform water oxidation and (2) a photocathode configured to perform water reduction. The photocathode is in electrical contact with the photoanode. The photoanode may include a high surface area network of photoanode nanowires. The photocathode may include a high surface area network of photocathode nanowires. In some embodiments, the nanowire mesh solar fuels generator may include an ion conductive polymer infiltrating the photoanode and the photocathode in the region where the photocathode is in electrical contact with the photoanode.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) LBNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Oct 23
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 14 SOLAR ENERGY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:TiO2 nanowire membrane for concurrent filtration and photocatalytic oxidation of humic acid in water
journal, April 2008
- Zhang, Xiwang; Du, Alan Jianhong; Lee, Peifung
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 313, Issue 1-2, p. 44-51
Solar Water Splitting Cells
journal, November 2010
- Walter, Michael G.; Warren, Emily L.; McKone, James R.
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 110, Issue 11, p. 6446-6473
Development of photocatalyst materials for water splitting
journal, February 2006
- Kudo, A.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 31, Issue 2, p. 197-202
Limiting and realizable efficiencies of solar photolysis of water
journal, August 1985
- Bolton, James R.; Strickler, Stewart J.; Connolly, John S.
- Nature, Vol. 316, Issue 6028, p. 495-500
Solar induced water splitting with p/n heterotype photochemical diodes: n-Fe2O3/p-GaP
journal, April 1981
- Mettee, Howard; Otvos, John W.; Calvin, Melvin
- Solar Energy Materials, Vol. 4, Issue 4, p. 443-453
Solution-Liquid-Solid Growth of Crystalline III-V Semiconductors: An Analogy to Vapor-Liquid-Solid Growth
journal, December 1995
- Trentler, Timothy J.; Hickman, Kathleen M.; Goel, Subhash C.
- Science, Vol. 270, Issue 5243, p. 1791-1794
Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Evolution Using Si Microwire Arrays
journal, January 2011
- Boettcher, Shannon W.; Warren, Emily L.; Putnam, Morgan C.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 133, Issue 5, p. 1216-1219
Synthesis of TiO2 nanowires and their photocatalytic activity for hydrogen evolution
journal, March 2008
- Jitputti, Jaturong; Suzuki, Yoshikazu; Yoshikawa, Susumu
- Catalysis Communications, Vol. 9, Issue 6, p. 1265-1271
WO3 and W2N nanowire arrays for photoelectrochemical hydrogen production
journal, November 2009
- Chakrapani, Vidhya; Thangala, Jyothish; Sunkara, Mahendra K.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 34, Issue 22, p. 9050-9059
General Synthesis of Compound Semiconductor Nanowires
journal, February 2000
- Duan, X.; Lieber, C. M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 12, Issue 4, p. 298-302
Synthesis of high-purity GaP nanowires using a vapor deposition method
journal, January 2003
- Lyu, S. C.; Zhang, Y.; Ruh, H.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 367, Issue 5-6, p. 717-722
Large-Scale Synthesis of Nearly Monodisperse CdSe/CdS Core/Shell Nanocrystals Using Air-Stable Reagents via Successive Ion Layer Adsorption and Reaction
journal, October 2003
- Li, J. Jack; Wang, Y. Andrew; Guo, Wenzhuo
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 125, Issue 41, p. 12567-12575
Colloidal nanocrystal synthesis and the organic–inorganic interface
journal, September 2005
- Yin, Yadong; Alivisatos, A. Paul
- Nature, Vol. 437, Issue 7059, p. 664-670
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: