Surface protected lithium-metal-oxide electrodes
A lithium-metal-oxide positive electrode having a layered or spinel structure for a non-aqueous lithium electrochemical cell and battery is disclosed comprising electrode particles that are protected at the surface from undesirable effects, such as electrolyte oxidation, oxygen loss or dissolution by one or more lithium-metal-polyanionic compounds, such as a lithium-metal-phosphate or a lithium-metal-silicate material that can act as a solid electrolyte at or above the operating potential of the lithium-metal-oxide electrode. The surface protection significantly enhances the surface stability, rate capability and cycling stability of the lithium-metal-oxide electrodes, particularly when charged to high potentials.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UCHICAGO ARGONNE, LLC (Chicago, IL) ANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Jul 09
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION
Other works cited in this record:Novel LiCoO2 Cathode Material with Al2O3 Coating for a Li Ion Cell
journal, December 2000
- Cho, Jaephil; Kim, Yong Jeong; Park, Byungwoo
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 12, Issue 12, p. 3788-3791
Superior Capacity Retention Spinel Oxyfluoride Cathodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries
journal, March 2006
- Choi, W.; Manthiram, A.
- Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, Vol. 9, Issue 5, p. A245-A248
Lithium–manganese oxide electrodes with layered–spinel composite structures xLi2MnO3·(1−x)Li1+yMn2−yO4 (0<x<1, 0⩽y⩽0.33) for lithium batteries
journal, May 2005
- Johnson, C. S.; Li, N.; Vaughey, J. T.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 7, Issue 5, p. 528-536
Optimization of Insertion Compounds Such as LiMn2O4 for Li-Ion Batteries
journal, November 2002
- Amatucci, G.; Tarascon, J.-M.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 149, Issue 12, p. K31-K46
The significance of the Li2MnO3 component in ‘composite’ xLi2MnO3·(1−x)LiMn0.5Ni0.5O2 electrodes
journal, October 2004
- Johnson, C. S.; Kim, J-S.; Lefief, C.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 6, Issue 10, p. 1085-1091
Layered Li(Li0.2Ni0.15+0.5zCo0.10Mn0.55−0.5z)O2−zFz cathode materials for Li-ion secondary batteries
journal, August 2005
- Kang, S.-H.; Amine, K.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 146, Issue 1-2, p. 654-657
The Electrochemical Stability of Spinel Electrodes Coated with ZrO2, Al2O3, and SiO2 from Colloidal Suspensions
journal, January 2004
- Kim, J.-S.; Johnson, C. S.; Vaughey, J. T.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 151, Issue 10, p. A1755-A1761
Electrochemical and Structural Properties of xLi2M‘O3 ·(1− x )LiMn0.5Ni0.5O2 Electrodes for Lithium Batteries (M‘ = Ti, Mn, Zr; 0 ≤ x ⩽ 0.3)
journal, May 2004
- Kim, Jeom-Soo; Johnson, Christopher S.; Vaughey, John T.
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 16, Issue 10, p. 1996-2006
Improvement of High-Voltage Cycling Behavior of Surface-Modified Li[Ni[sub 1∕3]Co[sub 1∕3]Mn[sub 1∕3]]O[sub 2] Cathodes by Fluorine Substitution for Li-Ion Batteries
journal, July 2005
- Kim, G.-H.; Kim, J.-H.; Myung, S.-T.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 152, Issue 9, p. A1707-A1713
Advances in manganese-oxide ‘composite’ electrodes for lithium-ion batteries
journal, March 2005
- Thackeray, Michael M.; Johnson, Christopher S.; Vaughey, John T.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 15, Issue 23, p. 2257-2267
Improvement of structural and electrochemical properties of AlF3-coated Li[Ni1/3Co1/3Mn1/3]O2 cathode materials on high voltage region
journal, April 2008
- Park, B.-C.; Kim, H.-B.; Myung, S.-T.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 178, Issue 2, p. 826-831
AlF3-Coating to Improve High Voltage Cycling Performance of Li[Ni1∕3]Co1∕3]Mn1∕3]O2 Cathode Materials for Lithium Secondary Batteries
journal, January 2007
- Sun, Y.-K.; Cho, S.-W.; Lee, S.-W.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 154, Issue 3, p. A168-A172
Improved capacity retention in rechargeable 4 V lithium/lithium-manganese oxide (spinel) cells
journal, April 1994
- Gummow, R. J.; de Kock, A.; Thackeray, M. M.
- Solid State Ionics, Vol. 69, Issue 1, p. 59-67
Li2MnO3-stabilized LiMO2 (M = Mn, Ni, Co) electrodes for lithium-ion batteries
journal, January 2007
- Thackeray, Michael M.; Kang, Sun-Ho; Johnson, Christopher S.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 17, Issue 30, p. 3112-3125
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: