Photovoltaic solar concentrator
A photovoltaic solar concentrator is disclosed with one or more transverse-junction solar cells (also termed point contact solar cells) and a lens located above each solar cell to concentrate sunlight onto the solar cell to generate electricity. Piezoelectric actuators tilt or translate each lens to track the sun using a feedback-control circuit which senses the electricity generated by one or more of the solar cells. The piezoelectric actuators can be coupled through a displacement-multiplier linkage to provide an increased range of movement of each lens. Each lens in the solar concentrator can be supported on a frame (also termed a tilt plate) having three legs, with the movement of the legs being controlled by the piezoelectric actuators.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sandia Corporation (Albuquerque, NM) SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2007 Nov 01
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 14 SOLAR ENERGY; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Silicon point contact concentrator solar cells
journal, August 1985
- Sinton, R. A.; Kwark, Y.; Swirhun, S.
- IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 6, Issue 8, p. 405-407
Design criteria for Si point-contact concentrator solar cells
journal, October 1987
- Sinton, R. A.; Swanson, R. M.
- IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 34, Issue 10, p. 2116-2123
Microstructure to substrate self-assembly using capillary forces
journal, March 2001
- Srinivasan, U.; Liepmann, D.; Howe, R. T.
- Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 10, Issue 1, p. 17-24
Method of anisotropically etching silicon
patent, March 1996
- Laermer, Franz; Schilp, Andrea
- US Patent Document 5,501,893
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: