Silicon-based visible and near-infrared optoelectric devices
In one aspect, the present invention provides a silicon photodetector having a surface layer that is doped with sulfur inclusions with an average concentration in a range of about 0.5 atom percent to about 1.5 atom percent. The surface layer forms a diode junction with an underlying portion of the substrate. A plurality of electrical contacts allow application of a reverse bias voltage to the junction in order to facilitate generation of an electrical signal, e.g., a photocurrent, in response to irradiation of the surface layer. The photodetector exhibits a responsivity greater than about 1 A/W for incident wavelengths in a range of about 250 nm to about 1050 nm, and a responsivity greater than about 0.1 A/W for longer wavelengths, e.g., up to about 3.5 microns.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- President And Fellows Of Harvard College (Cambridge, MA) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Dec 09
- Research Org:
- President And Fellows Of Harvard College, Cambridge, MA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Modeling of the spectral response of PIN photodetectors Impact of exposed zone thickness, surface recombination velocity and trap concentration
journal, February 2004
- Bouhdada, A.; Marrakh, R.; Vigué, F.
- Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 44, Issue 2, p. 223-228
Comparison of structure and properties of femtosecond and nanosecond laser-structured silicon
journal, March 2004
- Crouch, C. H.; Carey, J. E.; Warrender, J. M.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, Issue 11, p. 1850-1852
Surface microstructuring and long-range ordering of silicon nanoparticles
journal, May 2002
- Fowlkes, J. D.; Pedraza, A. J.; Blom, D. A.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, Issue 20, p. 3799-3801
Microstructuring of silicon with femtosecond laser pulses
journal, September 1998
- Her, Tsing-Hua; Finlay, Richard J.; Wu, Claudia
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 73, Issue 12, p. 1673-1675
Silicon microcolumn arrays grown by nanosecond pulsed-excimer laser irradiation
journal, April 1999
- Pedraza, A. J.; Fowlkes, J. D.; Lowndes, D. H.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 74, Issue 16, p. 2322-2324
Whiskerlike structure growth on silicon exposed to ArF excimer laser irradiation
journal, July 1996
- Sánchez, F.; Morenza, J. L.; Aguiar, R.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 69, Issue 5, p. 620-622
Temperature dependence of photoluminescence in noncrystalline silicon
conference, June 2004
- Serpenguzel, Ali; Bilici, Temel; Inanc, Ibrahim
- Integrated Optoelectronic Devices 2004: Proceedings Volume 5349, Physics and Simulation of Optoelectronic Devices XII, Vol. 5349
Formation of regular arrays of silicon microspikes by femtosecond laser irradiation through a mask
journal, March 2003
- Shen, M. Y.; Crouch, C. H.; Carey, J. E.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 82, Issue 11, p. 1715-1717
Near-unity below-band-gap absorption by microstructured silicon
journal, March 2001
- Wu, C.; Crouch, C. H.; Zhao, L.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, Issue 13, p. 1850-1852
Visible luminescence from silicon surfaces microstructured in air
journal, September 2002
- Wu, C.; Crouch, C. H.; Zhao, L.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, Issue 11, p. 1999-2001
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: