Method, system and computer-readable media for measuring impedance of an energy storage device
Real-time battery impedance spectrum is acquired using a one-time record. Fast Summation Transformation (FST) is a parallel method of acquiring a real-time battery impedance spectrum using a one-time record that enables battery diagnostics. An excitation current to a battery is a sum of equal amplitude sine waves of frequencies that are octave harmonics spread over a range of interest. A sample frequency is also octave and harmonically related to all frequencies in the sum. A time profile of this sampled signal has a duration that is a few periods of the lowest frequency. A voltage response of the battery, average deleted, is an impedance of the battery in a time domain. Since the excitation frequencies are known and octave and harmonically related, a simple algorithm, FST, processes the time profile by rectifying relative to sine and cosine of each frequency. Another algorithm yields real and imaginary components for each frequency.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC INL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Apr 03
- Research Org:
- Idaho National Lab. (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 25 ENERGY STORAGE; 97 MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTING; 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS
Other works cited in this record:Effects of Reference Performance Testing during Aging Using Commercial Lithium-Ion Cells
journal, January 2006
- Christophersen, Jon P.; Ho, Chinh D.; Motloch, Chester G.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 153, Issue 7, p. A1406-A1416
Accurate method of representation of high-voltage measuring systems and its application in high-impulse-voltage measurements
journal, March 1989
- Nikolopoulos, P. N.; Topalis, F. V.
- IEE Proceedings A (Physical Science, Measurement and Instrumentation, Management and Education), Vol. 136, Issue 2, p. 66-72
Comparison of impedance measurements in a DSP using ellipse-fit and seven-parameter sine-fit algorithms
journal, November 2009
- Ramos, Pedro M.; Janeiro, Fernando M.; Radil, Tomáš
- Measurement, Vol. 42, Issue 9, p. 1370-1379
Model validation approaches for nonlinear feedback systems using frequency response measurements
conference, January 1999
- Smith, R.; Banaszuk, A.; Dullerud, G.
- Decision and Control, 1999. Proceedings of the 38th IEEE Conference on
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: