Aluminum-based metal-air batteries
Provided in one embodiment is an electrochemical cell, comprising: (i) a plurality of electrodes, comprising a fuel electrode that comprises aluminum and an air electrode that absorbs gaseous oxygen, the electrodes being operable in a discharge mode wherein the aluminum is oxidized at the fuel electrode and oxygen is reduced at the air electrode, and (ii) an ionically conductive medium, comprising an organic solvent; wherein during non-use of the cell, the organic solvent promotes formation of a protective interface between the aluminum of the fuel electrode and the ionically conductive medium, and wherein at an onset of the discharge mode, at least some of the protective interface is removed from the aluminum to thereafter permit oxidation of the aluminum during the discharge mode.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- ARIZONA BOARD OF REGENTS FOR AND ON BEHALF OF ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Oct 17
- Research Org:
- ARIZONA BOARD OF REGENTS FOR AND ON BEHALF OF ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, Tempe, AZ (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:The effect of water on the anodic dissolution of aluminum in non-aqueous electrolytes
journal, May 2000
- Licht, S.; Levitin, G.; Tel-Vered, R.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 2, Issue 5, p. 329-333
Behaviour of aluminium as anode in dimethylsulfone-based electrolytes
journal, July 1994
- Legrand, L.; Tranchant, A.; Messina, R.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 39, Issue 10, p. 1427-1431
Sulfone-based electrolytes for aluminum electrodeposition
journal, August 1995
- Legrand, L.; Heintz, M.; Tranchant, A.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 40, Issue 11, p. 1711-1716
Effects of trifluoroethanol as a co-solvent on the electrochemical oxidation of hardly oxidizable organic compounds
journal, July 2001
- Shirai, Kimihiro; Hamamoto, Taiji; Maki, Toshihide
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 507, Issue 1-2, p. 191-197
21st Century’s energy: Hydrogen energy system
journal, July 2008
- Veziroğlu, T. Nejat; Şahi˙n, Sümer
- Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 49, Issue 7, p. 1820-1831
Electrochemical properties of aluminum anodes in gel electrolyte-based aluminum-air batteries
journal, December 2008
- Mohamad, A. A.
- Corrosion Science, Vol. 50, Issue 12, p. 3475-3479
Aluminum as anode for energy storage and conversion: a review
journal, July 2002
- Li, Qingfeng; Bjerrum, Niels J.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 110, Issue 1, p. 1-10
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: