Processes for preparing carbon fibers using gaseous sulfur trioxide
Disclosed herein are processes for preparing carbonized polymers, such as carbon fibers, comprising: sulfonating a polymer with a sulfonating agent that comprises SO.sub.3 gas to form a sulfonated polymer; treating the sulfonated polymer with a heated solvent, wherein the temperature of said solvent is at least 95.degree. C.; and carbonizing the resulting product by heating it to a temperature of 500-3000.degree. C.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Dow Global Technologies LLC (Midland, MI) ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jul 03
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Amorphous carbon fibres from linear low density polyethylene
journal, October 1990
- Postema, A. R.; De Groot, H.; Pennings, A. J.
- Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 25, Issue 10, p. 4216-4222
The effect of diameter on the mechanical properties of amorphous carbon fibres from linear low density polyethylene
journal, March 1991
- Penning, J. P.; Lagcher, R.; Pennings, A. J.
- Polymer Bulletin, Vol. 25, Issue 3, p. 405-412
Carbon Fibers from Polyethylene-Based Precursors
journal, March 1994
- Zhang, Dong; Bhat, Gajanan S.
- Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 9, Issue 2, p. 221-235
Use of sulfonation procedure for the development of thermally stabilized isotactic polypropylene fibers prior to carbonization
journal, July 2011
- Karacan, Ismail; Benli, Huseyin
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 123, Issue 1, p. 234-245
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: