Processes for preparing carbon fibers using sulfur trioxide in a halogenated solvent
Disclosed here are processes for preparing carbonized polymers (preferably carbon fibers), comprising sulfonating a polymer with a sulfonating agent that comprises SO.sub.3 dissolved in a solvent to form a sulfonated polymer; treating the sulfonated polymer with a heated solvent, wherein the temperature of the solvent is at least 95.degree. C.; and carbonizing the resulting product by heating it to a temperature of 500-3000.degree. C. Carbon fibers made according to these methods are also disclosed herein.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Dow Global Technologies LLC ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jul 03
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Patterned Functional Carbon Fibers from Polyethylene
journal, March 2012
- Hunt, Marcus A.; Saito, Tomonori; Brown, Rebecca H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, Issue 18, p. 2386-2389
Amorphous carbon fibres from linear low density polyethylene
journal, October 1990
- Postema, A. R.; De Groot, H.; Pennings, A. J.
- Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 25, Issue 10, p. 4216-4222
The effect of diameter on the mechanical properties of amorphous carbon fibres from linear low density polyethylene
journal, March 1991
- Penning, J. P.; Lagcher, R.; Pennings, A. J.
- Polymer Bulletin, Vol. 25, Issue 3, p. 405-412
Carbon Fibers from Polyethylene-Based Precursors
journal, March 1994
- Zhang, Dong; Bhat, Gajanan S.
- Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 9, Issue 2, p. 221-235
Use of sulfonation procedure for the development of thermally stabilized isotactic polypropylene fibers prior to carbonization
journal, July 2011
- Karacan, Ismail; Benli, Huseyin
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 123, Issue 1, p. 234-245
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: