Nanostructures having high performance thermoelectric properties
The invention provides for a nanostructure, or an array of such nanostructures, each comprising a rough surface, and a doped or undoped semiconductor. The nanostructure is an one-dimensional (1-D) nanostructure, such a nanowire, or a two-dimensional (2-D) nanostructure. The nanostructure can be placed between two electrodes and used for thermoelectric power generation or thermoelectric cooling.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of The University of California LBNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Mar 26
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY; 24 POWER TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION
Other works cited in this record:Thermoelectric Cooling and Power Generation
journal, July 1999
- DiSalvo, F. J.
- Science, Vol. 285, Issue 5428, p. 703-706
Thermal conductivity of individual silicon nanowires
journal, October 2003
- Li, Deyu; Wu, Yiying; Kim, Philip
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 83, Issue 14, p. 2934-2936
Dendrite-Assisted Growth of Silicon Nanowires in Electroless Metal Deposition
journal, February 2003
- Peng, K.; Yan, Y.; Gao, S.
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 2, p. 127-132
Uniform, Axial-Orientation Alignment of One-Dimensional Single-Crystal Silicon Nanostructure Arrays
journal, April 2005
- Peng, Kuiqing; Wu, Yin; Fang, Hui
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 44, Issue 18, p. 2737-2742
Aligned Single-Crystalline Si Nanowire Arrays for Photovoltaic Applications
journal, September 2005
- Peng, Kuiqing; Xu, Ying; Wu, Yin
- Small, Vol. 1, Issue 11, p. 1062-1067
Langmuir−Blodgett Silver Nanowire Monolayers for Molecular Sensing Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy
journal, September 2003
- Tao, Andrea; Kim, Franklin; Hess, Christian
- Nano Letters, Vol. 3, Issue 9, p. 1229-1233
Controlled Growth of Si Nanowire Arrays for Device Integration
journal, March 2005
- Hochbaum, Allon I.; Fan, Rong; He, Rongrui
- Nano Letters, Vol. 5, Issue 3, p. 457-460
Cubic AgPbmSbTe2+m: Bulk Thermoelectric Materials with High Figure of Merit
journal, February 2004
- Hsu, Kuei Fang; Loo, Sim; Guo, Fu
- Science, Vol. 303, Issue 5659, p. 818-821
Thermal conductivity of isotopically enriched silicon
journal, June 2000
- Ruf, T.; Henn, R. W.; Asen-Palmer, M.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 115, Issue 5, p. 243-247
The seebeck effect in silicon ICs
journal, December 1984
- Van Herwaarden, A. W.
- Sensors and Actuators, Vol. 6, Issue 4, p. 245-254
Cooling, Heating, Generating Power, and Recovering Waste Heat with Thermoelectric Systems
journal, September 2008
- Bell, L. E.
- Science, Vol. 321, Issue 5895, p. 1457-1461
Preparation of monodisperse silica particles: Control of size and mass fraction
journal, August 1988
- Bogush, G. H.; Tracy, M. A.; Zukoski, C. F.
- Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 104, Issue 1, p. 95-106
Silicon nanowires as efficient thermoelectric materials
journal, January 2008
- Boukai, Akram I.; Bunimovich, Yuri; Tahir-Kheli, Jamil
- Nature, Vol. 451, Issue 7175, p. 168-171
Nanostructured Bulk Silicon as an Effective Thermoelectric Material
journal, August 2009
- Bux, Sabah K.; Blair, Richard G.; Gogna, Pawan K.
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 15, p. 2445-2452
Lower limit to the thermal conductivity of disordered crystals
journal, September 1992
- Cahill, David G.; Watson, S. K.; Pohl, R. O.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 46, Issue 10, p. 6131-6140
Metal-assisted chemical etching of silicon in HF–H2O2
journal, July 2008
- Chartier, C.; Bastide, S.; Lévy-Clément, C.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 53, Issue 17, p. 5509-5516
Ultralow Thermal Conductivity in Disordered, Layered WSe2 Crystals
journal, January 2007
- Chiritescu, C.; Cahill, D. G.; Nguyen, N.
- Science, Vol. 315, Issue 5810, p. 351-353
Formation of a-Si:H and a-Si1-xCx :H nanowires by Ag-assisted electroless etching in aqueous HF/AgNO3 solution
journal, June 2011
- Douani, Rachida; Piret, Gaëlle; Hadjersi, Toufik
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 519, Issue 16, p. 5383-5387
Electrical Characteristics and Chemical Stability of Non-Oxidized, Methyl-Terminated Silicon Nanowires
journal, June 2006
- Haick, Hossam; Hurley, Patrick T.; Hochbaum, Allon I.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 128, Issue 28, p. 8990-8991
Enhanced thermoelectric performance of rough silicon nanowires
journal, January 2008
- Hochbaum, Allon I.; Chen, Renkun; Delgado, Raul Diaz
- Nature, Vol. 451, Issue 7175, p. 163-167
Metal-Assisted Chemical Etching of Silicon: A Review
journal, September 2010
- Huang, Zhipeng; Geyer, Nadine; Werner, Peter
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 23, Issue 2, p. 285-308
Synthesis of uniform, spherical sub-100nm silica particles using a conceptual modification of the classic LaMer model
journal, May 2010
- Huang, Yuan; Pemberton, Jeanne E.
- Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 360, Issue 1-3, p. 175-183
Silicon nanostructures from electroless electrochemical etching
journal, February 2005
- Kolasinski, Kurt W.
- Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, Vol. 9, Issue 1-2, p. 73-83
Scalable Nanopillar Arrays with Layer-by-Layer Patterned Overt and Covert Images
journal, August 2014
- Lee, Kyoung G.; Choi, Bong Gill; Kim, Byeong Il
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 26, Issue 35, p. 6119-6124
Fabrication of Highly Ordered Silicon Oxide Dots and Stripes from Block Copolymer Thin Films
journal, February 2008
- Park, S.; Kim, B.; Wang, J.-Y.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 681-685
Fabrication of Single-Crystalline Silicon Nanowires by Scratching a Silicon Surface with Catalytic Metal Particles
journal, February 2006
- Peng, K. Q.; Hu, J. J.; Yan, Y. J.
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 16, Issue 3, p. 387-394
Complex thermoelectric materials
journal, February 2008
- Snyder, G. Jeffrey; Toberer, Eric S.
- Nature Materials, Vol. 7, Issue 2, p. 105-114
Controlled growth of monodisperse silica spheres in the micron size range
journal, January 1968
- Stöber, Werner; Fink, Arthur; Bohn, Ernst
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 26, Issue 1, p. 62-69
Thermal boundary resistance
journal, July 1989
- Swartz, E. T.; Pohl, R. O.
- Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 61, Issue 3, p. 605-668
A new type of low power thermoelectric micro-generator fabricated by nanowire array thermoelectric material
journal, April 2005
- Wang, Wei; Jia, Falong; Huang, Qinghua
- Microelectronic Engineering, Vol. 77, Issue 3-4, p. 223-229
Photovoltaic devices fabricated from nanostructured template
patent, October 2009
- Roscheisen, Martin; Sager, Brian; Pichler, Karl
- US Patent Document 7,605,327
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: