Systems, compositions, and methods for fluid purification
Disclosed herein are membranes comprising a substrate, a support layer, and a selective layer. In some embodiments the membrane may further comprise a permeable layer. Methods of forming membranes are also disclosed comprising forming a support layer on a substrate, removing adsorbed species from the support layer, preparing a solution containing inorganic materials of a selective layer, contacting the support layer with the solution, drying the membrane, and exposing the membrane to rapid thermal processing. Also disclosed are methods of fluid purification comprising providing a membrane having a feed side and a permeable side, passing a fluid mixture across the feed side of the membrane, providing a driving force for transmembrane permeation, removing from the permeate side a permeate stream enriched in a purified fluid, and withdrawing from the feed side a fluid that is depleted in a purified fluid.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Ohio State Innovation Foundation CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Jul 15
- Research Org:
- Ohio State Innovation Foundation, Columbus, OH (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Characterization of silicone rubber membrane materials at low temperature and low pressure conditions
journal, March 2006
- Jha, Praveen; Mason, Larry W.; Douglas Way, J.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 272, Issue 1-2, p. 125-136
Stationary and transient kinetics of the high temperature water-gas shift reaction
journal, April 1996
- Keiski, Riitta L.; Salmi, Tapio; Niemistö, Pekka
- Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 137, Issue 2, p. 349-370
Micro-structural optimization of supported γ-alumina membranes
journal, May 2008
- Kuzniatsova, T.; Mottern, M. L.; Shqau, K.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 316, Issue 1-2, p. 80-88
Synthesis of Pd particle-deposited microporous silica membranes via a vacuum-impregnation method and their gas permeation behavior
journal, September 2008
- Lee, Dong-Wook; Yu, Chang-Yeol; Lee, Kew-Ho
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 325, Issue 2, p. 447-452
Robust method for micro-porous silica membrane fabrication
journal, February 2010
- Luiten, M. W. J.; Benes, Nieck E.; Huiskes, Cindy
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 348, Issue 1-2, p. 1-5
Improvement of ethanol selectivity of silicalite membrane in pervaporation by silicone rubber coating
journal, December 2002
- Matsuda, H.; Yanagishita, H.; Negishi, H.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 210, Issue 2, p. 433-437
Evaluation of energy consumption for separation of CO2 in flue gas by hollow fiber facilitated transport membrane module with permeation of amine solution
journal, November 2005
- Matsumiya, Norifumi; Teramoto, Masaaki; Kitada, Satoshi
- Separation and Purification Technology, Vol. 46, Issue 1-2, p. 26-32
Gas sorption, diffusion, and permeation in poly(dimethylsiloxane)
journal, February 2000
- Merkel, T. C.; Bondar, V. I.; Nagai, K.
- Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 38, Issue 3, p. 415-434
Power plant post-combustion carbon dioxide capture: An opportunity for membranes
journal, September 2010
- Merkel, Tim C.; Lin, Haiqing; Wei, Xiaotong
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 359, Issue 1-2, p. 126-139
Textured indium tin oxide thin films by chemical solution deposition and rapid thermal processing
journal, February 2007
- Mottern, Matthew L.; Tyholdt, Frode; Ulyashin, Alexander
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 515, Issue 7-8, p. 3918-3926
Permeation porometry: Effect of probe diffusion in the condensate
journal, April 2008
- Mottern, M. L.; Shqau, K.; Zalar, F.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 313, Issue 1-2, p. 2-8
Capillary carbon molecular sieve membranes derived from Kapton for high temperature gas separation
journal, August 1997
- Petersen, Joachim; Matsuda, Masaji; Haraya, Kenji
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 131, Issue 1-2, p. 85-94
The upper bound revisited
journal, July 2008
- Robeson, Lloyd M.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 320, Issue 1-2, p. 390-400
Rapid thermal processing of inorganic membranes
journal, October 2010
- Schillo, M. C.; Park, I.-S.; Chiu, W. V.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 362, Issue 1-2, p. 127-133
Surface diffusion of tetramethylsilane and neopentane on Ru(001)
journal, July 1990
- Westre, E. D.; Arena, M. V.; Deckert, A. A.
- Surface Science, Vol. 233, Issue 3, p. 293-307
Synthesis of Ultrathin Zeolite Y Membranes and their Application for Separation of Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen Gases
journal, June 2010
- White, Jeremy C.; Dutta, Prabir K.; Shqau, Krenar
- Langmuir, Vol. 26, Issue 12, p. 10287-10293
Tubular ceramic-supported sol–gel silica-based membranes for flue gas carbon dioxide capture and sequestration
journal, September 2009
- Xomeritakis, G.; Tsai, C. Y.; Jiang, Y. B.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 341, Issue 1-2, p. 30-36
Selective Defect-Patching of Zeolite Membranes Using Chemical Liquid Deposition at Organic/Aqueous Interfaces
journal, November 2008
- Zhang, Baoquan; Wang, Cong; Lang, Lin
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 21, p. 3434-3443
Blocking defects in SAPO-34 membranes with cyclodextrin
journal, August 2010
- Zhang, Yanfeng; Avila, Adolfo M.; Tokay, Begum
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 358, Issue 1-2, p. 7-12
CO2 sorption of a thin silica layer determined by spectroscopic ellipsometry
journal, May 2001
- Benes, Nieck E.; Spijksma, Gerald; Verweij, Henk
- AIChE Journal, Vol. 47, Issue 5, p. 1212-1218
Multi-component lattice gas diffusion
journal, July 2002
- Benes, Nieck E.; Bouwmeester, Henny J. M.; Verweij, Henk
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 57, Issue 14, p. 2673-2678
Permeability of silicone polymers to hydrogen
journal, May 1991
- Bhide, B. D.; Stern, S. A.
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 42, Issue 9, p. 2397-2403
Microporous niobia–silica membranes: Influence of sol composition and structure on gas transport properties
journal, February 2009
- Boffa, V.; ten Elshof, J. E.; Garcia, R.
- Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Vol. 118, Issue 1-3, p. 202-209
Formation and characterization of supported microporous ceramic membranes prepared by sol-gel modification techniques
journal, February 1995
- de Lange, R. S. A.; Hekkink, J. H. A.; Keizer, K.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 99, Issue 1, p. 57-75
Prediction of flux and selectivity in pervaporation through a membrane
journal, November 1995
- Doong, S. J.; Ho, W. S.; Mastondrea, R. P.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 107, Issue 1-2, p. 129-146
Carbon dioxide recovery from post-combustion processes: Can gas permeation membranes compete with absorption?
journal, May 2007
- Favre, Eric
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 294, Issue 1-2, p. 50-59
A study of silicone rubber/polysulfone composite membranes: correlating H2/N2 and O2/N2 permselectivities
journal, June 2002
- Feng, Xianshe; Shao, Pinghai; Huang, Robert Y. M.
- Separation and Purification Technology, Vol. 27, Issue 3, p. 211-223
Upgrading low-quality natural gas with H2S- and CO2-selective polymer membranes
journal, July 2008
- Hao, J.; Rice, P. A.; Stern, S. A.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 320, Issue 1-2, p. 108-122
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: