Method for cold stable biojet fuel
Plant or animal oils are processed to produce a fuel that operates at very cold temperatures and is suitable as an aviation turbine fuel, a diesel fuel, a fuel blendstock, or any fuel having a low cloud point, pour point or freeze point. The process is based on the cracking of plant or animal oils or their associated esters, known as biodiesel, to generate lighter chemical compounds that have substantially lower cloud, pour, and/or freeze points than the original oil or biodiesel. Cracked oil is processed using separation steps together with analysis to collect fractions with desired low temperature properties by removing undesirable compounds that do not possess the desired temperature properties.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of North Dakota GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2007 Jul 02
- Research Org:
- Univ. of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 09 BIOMASS FUELS
Other works cited in this record:Cloud and pour points in fuel blends
journal, May 2002
- Coutinho, J. A. P.; Mirante, F.; Ribeiro, J. C.
- Fuel, Vol. 81, Issue 7, p. 963-967
Biodiesel production: a review
journal, October 1999
- Ma, Fangrui; Hanna, Milford A.
- Bioresource Technology, Vol. 70, Issue 1, p. 1-15
Catalytic conversion of palm oil-based fatty acid mixture to liquid fuel
journal, November 2004
- Ooi, Yean-Sang; Zakaria, Ridzuan; Mohamed, Abdul Rahman
- Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 27, Issue 5, p. 477-484
Systematics of renewable olefins from thermal cracking of canola oil
journal, March 2007
- Sadrameli, S. M.; Green, Alex E. S.
- Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 78, Issue 2, p. 445-451
The thermal cracking of soybean/canola oils and their methyl esters
journal, June 2010
- Luo, Yan; Ahmed, Irshad; Kubátová, Alena
- Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 91, Issue 6, p. 613-617
Diesel-like fuel obtained by pyrolysis of vegetable oils
journal, June 2004
- Lima, Daniela G.; Soares, Valerio C. D.; Ribeiro, Eric B.
- Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 71, Issue 2, p. 987-996
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: