Graphene nanocomposites for electrochemical cell electrodes
A composite composition for electrochemical cell electrode applications, the composition comprising multiple solid particles, wherein (a) a solid particle is composed of graphene platelets dispersed in or bonded by a first matrix or binder material, wherein the graphene platelets are not obtained from graphitization of the first binder or matrix material; (b) the graphene platelets have a length or width in the range of 10 nm to 10 .mu.m; (c) the multiple solid particles are bonded by a second binder material; and (d) the first or second binder material is selected from a polymer, polymeric carbon, amorphous carbon, metal, glass, ceramic, oxide, organic material, or a combination thereof. For a lithium ion battery anode application, the first binder or matrix material is preferably amorphous carbon or polymeric carbon. Such a composite composition provides a high anode capacity and good cycling response. For a supercapacitor electrode application, the solid particles preferably have meso-scale pores therein to accommodate electrolyte.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Nanotek Instruments, Inc. DOESC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2008 Jul 28
- Research Org:
- Nanotek Instruments, Inc, Dayton, OH (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION
Other works cited in this record:Ab Initio Molecular Dynamics Investigation of Singlet C2H2Li2: Determination of the Ground State Structure and Observation of LiH Intermediates
journal, January 1995
- Roethlisberger, Ursula; Klein, Michael L.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 117, Issue 1, p. 42-48
High reversible capacity carbon-lithium negative electrode in polymer electrolyte
journal, April 1995
- Yazami, R.; Deschamps, M.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 54, Issue 2, p. 411-415
Characterization of lithiated natural graphite before and after mild oxidation
journal, December 1998
- Menachem, C.; Wang, Y.; Flowers, J.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 76, Issue 2, p. 180-185
Modified carbons for improved anodes in lithium ion cells
journal, July 2001
- Buqa, H.; Golob, P.; Winter, M.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 97-98, p. 122-125
Effects of catalytic oxidation on the electrochemical performance of common natural graphite as an anode material for lithium ion batteries
journal, April 2000
- Wu, Yuping; Jiang, Changyin; Wan, Chunrong
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 2, Issue 4, p. 272-275
Mild preparation of anode materials by a salt-free green method
journal, June 2002
- Wu, Y. P.; Jiang, C.; Wan, C.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 4, Issue 6, p. 483-487
Carbon anode materials for lithium ion batteries
journal, March 2003
- Wu, Y. P.; Rahm, E.; Holze, R.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 114, Issue 2, p. 228-236
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: