Electro-autotrophic synthesis of higher alcohols
The disclosure provides a process that converts CO.sub.2 to higher alcohols (e.g. isobutanol) using electricity as the energy source. This process stores electricity (e.g. from solar energy, nuclear energy, and the like) in liquid fuels that can be used as high octane number gasoline substitutes. Instead of deriving reducing power from photosynthesis, this process derives reducing power from electrically generated mediators, either H.sub.2 or formate. H.sub.2 can be derived from electrolysis of water. Formate can be generated by electrochemical reduction of CO.sub.2. After delivering the reducing power in the cell, formate becomes CO.sub.2 and recycles back. Therefore, the biological CO.sub.2 fixation process can occur in the dark.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Jan 15
- Research Org:
- The Regents of the University of California, Oakland, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Direct photosynthetic recycling of carbon dioxide to isobutyraldehyde
journal, November 2009
- Atsumi, Shota; Higashide, Wendy; Liao, James C.
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 27, Issue 12, p. 1177-1180
Construction of Escherichia coli K-12 in-frame, single-gene knockout mutants the Keio collection
journal, February 2006
- Baba, Tomoya; Ara, Takeshi; Hasegawa, Miki
- Molecular Systems Biology, Vol. 2, Article No. 2006.0008
Blunt-end and single-strand ligations by Escherichia coli ligase: influence on an in vitro amplication scheme
journal, April 1990
- Barringer, Kevin J.; Orgel, Leslie; Wahl, Geoff
- Gene, Vol. 89, Issue 1, p. 117-122
Oxidizing enzymes as biocatalysts
journal, December 2003
- Burton, Stephanie G.
- Trends in Biotechnology, Vol. 21, Issue 12, p. 543-549
One-step inactivation of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli K-12 using PCR products
journal, May 2000
- Datsenko, K. A.; Wanner, B. L.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 97, Issue 12, p. 6640-6645
Isothermal, in vitro amplification of nucleic acids by a multienzyme reaction modeled after retroviral replication.
journal, March 1990
- Guatelli, J. C.; Whitfield, K. M.; Kwoh, D. Y.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 87, Issue 5, p. 1874-1878
Cyanobacterial daily life with Kai-based circadian and diurnal genome-wide transcriptional control in Synechococcus elongatus
journal, July 2009
- Ito, H.; Mutsuda, M.; Murayama, Y.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106, Issue 33, p. 14168-14173
Quinone sensing by the circadian input kinase of the cyanobacterial circadian clock
journal, November 2006
- Ivleva, N. B.; Gao, T.; LiWang, A. C.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 103, Issue 46, p. 17468-17473
Transcription-based amplification system and detection of amplified human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with a bead-based sandwich hybridization format.
journal, February 1989
- Kwoh, D. Y.; Davis, G. R.; Whitfield, K. M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 86, Issue 4, p. 1173-1177
Complete genome sequence of the metabolically versatile photosynthetic bacterium Rhodopseudomonas palustris
journal, December 2003
- Larimer, Frank W; Chain, Patrick; Hauser, Loren
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 22, Issue 1, p. 55-61
Thioredoxin-linked processes in cyanobacteria are as numerous as in chloroplasts, but targets are different
journal, December 2003
- Lindahl, M.; Florencio, F. J.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 100, Issue 26, p. 16107-16112
Global gene repression by KaiC as a master process of prokaryotic circadian system
journal, January 2004
- Nakahira, Y.; Katayama, M.; Miyashita, H.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 3, p. 881-885
Improvement for L-leucine production in a continuously operated enzyme membrane reactor
journal, November 1985
- Ohshima, Toshihisa; Wandrey, Christian; Kula, Maria-Regina
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 27, Issue 11, p. 1616-1618
The membrane-bound hydrogenase of Alcaligenes eutrophus. I. Solubilization, purification, and biochemical properties
journal, April 1979
- Schink, Bernhard; Schlegel, Hans G.
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Enzymology, Vol. 567, Issue 2, p. 315-324
Purification and properties of soluble hydrogenase from Alcaligenes eutrophus H 16
journal, November 1976
- Schneider, Klaus; Schlegel, Hans G.
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Enzymology, Vol. 452, Issue 1, p. 66-80
Hydrogen metabolism and nitrogen fixation in wild type and Nif− mutants of Rhodopseudomonas acidophila
journal, June 1978
- Siefert, Eike; Pfennig, Norbert
- Biochimie, Vol. 60, Issue 3, p. 261-265
Circadian rhythms in gene transcription imparted by chromosome compaction in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus
journal, May 2006
- Smith, R. M.; Williams, S. B.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 103, Issue 22, p. 8564-8569
The ligation amplification reaction (LAR)—Amplification of specific DNA sequences using sequential rounds of template-dependent ligation
journal, May 1989
- Wu, Dan Y.; Wallace, R. Bruce
- Genomics, Vol. 4, Issue 4, p. 560-569
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: