Method for carbon dioxide sequestration
A method for geo-sequestration of a carbon dioxide includes selection of a target water-laden geological formation with low-permeability interbeds, providing an injection well into the formation and injecting supercritical carbon dioxide (SC--CO.sub.2) into the injection well under conditions of temperature, pressure and density selected to cause the fluid to enter the formation and splinter and/or form immobilized ganglia within the formation. This process allows for the immobilization of the injected SC--CO.sub.2 for very long times. The dispersal of scCO2 into small ganglia is accomplished by alternating injection of SC--CO.sub.2 and water. The injection rate is required to be high enough to ensure the SC--CO.sub.2 at the advancing front to be broken into pieces and small enough for immobilization through viscous instability.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sandia Corporation (Albuquerque, NM) SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jul 25
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Pore-scale study of capillary trapping mechanism during CO2 injection in geological formations
journal, November 2011
- Bandara, Uditha C.; Tartakovsky, Alexandre M.; Palmer, Bruce J.
- International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 5, Issue 6, p. 1566-1577
A theoretical model of collision and coalescence of ganglia in porous media
journal, February 1991
- Constantinides, George N.; Payatakes, Alkiviades C.
- Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 141, Issue 2, p. 486-504
Mobilization of oil ganglia
journal, September 1983
- de la Cruz, V.; Spanos, T. J. T.
- AIChE Journal, Vol. 29, Issue 5, p. 854-858
Wetting: statics and dynamics
journal, July 1985
- de Gennes, P. G.
- Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 57, Issue 3, p. 827-863
Storage of CO2 in saline aquifers: Effects of gravity, viscous, and capillary forces on amount and timing of trapping
journal, October 2007
- Taku Ide, S.; Jessen, Kristian; Orr, Franklin M.
- International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 1, Issue 4, p. 481-491
A Guide to CO2 Sequestration
journal, June 2003
- Lackner, K. S.
- Science, Vol. 300, Issue 5626, p. 1677-1678
Percolation theory of two phase flow in porous media
journal, January 1981
- Larson, R. G.; Scriven, L. E.; Davis, H. T.
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 36, Issue 1, p. 57-73
Stochastic simulation of the motion, breakup and stranding of oil ganglia in water-wet granular porous media during immiscible displacement
journal, May 1980
- Ng, K. M.; Payatakes, A. C.
- AIChE Journal, Vol. 26, Issue 3, p. 419-429
Design of carbon dioxide storage in aquifers
journal, March 2009
- Qi, R.; LaForce, T.; Blunt, M.
- International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 3, Issue 2, p. 195-205
Determining effective interfacial tension and predicting finger spacing for DNAPL penetration into water-saturated porous media
journal, March 2001
- Smith, James E.; Zhang, Z. Fred
- Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, Vol. 48, Issue 1-2, p. 167-183
Maximization of capillary trapping ratio to injected CO2 by means of co-injection
journal, January 2011
- Suekane, T.; Zhou, N.; Hosokawa, T.
- Energy Procedia, Vol. 4, p. 4260-4266
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: