Efficient electrocatalytic conversion of CO.sub.2 to CO using ligand-protected Au.sub.25 clusters
An apparatus and method for CO.sub.2 reduction using an Au.sub.25 electrode. The Au.sub.25 electrode is comprised of ligand-protected Au.sub.25 having a structure comprising an icosahedral core of 13 atoms surrounded by a shell of six semi-ring structures bonded to the core of 13 atoms, where each semi-ring structure is typically --SR--Au--SR--Au--SR or --SeR--Au--SeR--Au--SeR. The 12 semi-ring gold atoms within the six semi-ring structures are stellated on 12 of the 20 faces of the icosahedron of the Au.sub.13 core, and organic ligand --SR or --SeR groups are bonded to the Au.sub.13 core with sulfur or selenium atoms. The Au.sub.25 electrode and a counter-electrode are in contact with an electrolyte comprising CO.sub.2 and H+, and a potential of at least -0.1 volts is applied from the Au.sub.25 electrode to the counter-electrode.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- U.S. Department of Energy (Washington, DC) NETL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Oct 04
- Research Org:
- National Energy Technology Lab. (NETL), Pittsburgh, PA, and Morgantown, WV (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION
Other works cited in this record:Oxygen Electroreduction Catalyzed by Gold Nanoclusters: Strong Core Size Effects
journal, June 2009
- Chen, Wei; Chen, Shaowei
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 48, Issue 24, p. 4386-4389
Design of an Electrochemical Cell Making Syngas (CO + H2) from CO2 and H2O Reduction at Room Temperature
journal, January 2008
- Delacourt, Charles; Ridgway, Paul L.; Kerr, John B.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 155, Issue 1, p. B42-B49
Correlating the Crystal Structure of A Thiol-Protected Au25 Cluster and Optical Properties
journal, May 2008
- Zhu, Manzhou; Aikens, Christine M.; Hollander, Frederick J.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 130, Issue 18, p. 5883-5885
Atomically Precise Au25(SR)18 Nanoparticles as Catalysts for the Selective Hydrogenation of α,β-Unsaturated Ketones and Aldehydes
journal, February 2010
- Zhu, Yan; Qian, Huifeng; Drake, Bethany A.
- Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 122, Issue 7, p. 1317-1320
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: