Indirect evaporative coolers with enhanced heat transfer
A separator plate assembly for use in an indirect evaporative cooler (IEC) with an air-to-air heat exchanger. The assembly includes a separator plate with a first surface defining a dry channel and a second surface defining a wet channel. The assembly includes heat transfer enhancements provided on the first surface for increasing heat transfer rates. The heat transfer enhancements may include slit fins with bodies extending outward from the first surface of separator plate or may take other forms including vortex generators, offset strip fins, and wavy fins. In slit fin implementations, the separator plate has holes proximate to each of the slit fins, and the separator plate assembly may include a sealing layer applied to the second surface of the separator plate to block air flow through the holes. The sealing layer can be a thickness of adhesive, and a layer of wicking material is applied to the adhesive.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alliance For Sustainable Energy, LLC (Golden, CO) NREL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 13
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION
Other works cited in this record:A desiccant-enhanced evaporative air conditioner: Numerical model and experiments
journal, January 2013
- Woods, Jason; Kozubal, Eric
- Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 65, p. 208-220
Desiccant Enhanced Evaporative Air-Conditioning (DEVap): Evaluation of a New Concept in Ultra Efficient Air Conditioning
report, January 2011
- Kozubal, E.; Woods, J.; Burch, J.
Development and Analysis of Desiccant Enhanced Evaporative Air Conditioner Prototype
report, April 2012
- Kozubal, E.; Woods, J.; Judkoff, R.
Liquid desiccant based two-stage evaporative cooling system using reverse osmosis (RO) process for regeneration
journal, October 2007
- Al-Sulaiman, Faleh A.; Gandhidasan, P.; Zubair, Syed M.
- Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 27, Issue 14-15, p. 2449-2454
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: