Lithium ion batteries based on nanoporous silicon
A lithium ion battery that incorporates an anode formed from a Group IV semiconductor material such as porous silicon is disclosed. The battery includes a cathode, and an anode comprising porous silicon. In some embodiments, the anode is present in the form of a nanowire, a film, or a powder, the porous silicon having a pore diameters within the range between 2 nm and 100 nm and an average wall thickness of within the range between 1 nm and 100 nm. The lithium ion battery further includes, in some embodiments, a non-aqueous lithium containing electrolyte. Lithium ion batteries incorporating a porous silicon anode demonstrate have high, stable lithium alloying capacity over many cycles.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) EFRC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Jun 07
- Research Org:
- The Regents of the University of California, Oakland, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:The Physics of Macropore Formation in Low Doped n-Type Silicon
journal, January 1993
- Lehmann, V.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 140, Issue 10, p. 2836-2843
High-performance lithium battery anodes using silicon nanowires
journal, December 2007
- Chan, Candace K.; Peng, Hailin; Liu, Gao
- Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 3, Issue 1, p. 31-35
Formation and application of porous silicon
journal, November 2002
- Föll, H.; Christophersen, M.; Carstensen, J.
- Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports, Vol. 39, Issue 4, p. 93-141
Self-assembled mesoporous silicon in the crossover between irregular and regular arrangement applicable for Ni filling
journal, April 2007
- Granitzer, P.; Rumpf, K.; Pölt, P.
- Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures, Vol. 38, Issue 1-2, p. 205-210
Three-Dimensional Porous Silicon Particles for Use in High-Performance Lithium Secondary Batteries
journal, December 2008
- Kim, Hyunjung; Han, Byunghee; Choo, Jaebum
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 47, Issue 52, p. 10151-10154
On the morphology and the electrochemical formation mechanism of mesoporous silicon
journal, January 2000
- Lehmann, V.; Stengl, R.; Luigart, A.
- Materials Science and Engineering: B, Vol. 69-70, p. 11-22
Effect of electrode structure on performance of Si anode in Li-ion batteries: Si particle size and conductive additive
journal, January 2005
- Liu, Wei-Ren; Guo, Zheng-Zao; Young, Wen-Shiue
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 140, Issue 1, p. 139-144
Impedance Analysis of Silicon Nanowire Lithium Ion Battery Anodes
journal, June 2009
- Ruffo, Riccardo; Hong, Seung Sae; Chan, Candace K.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 113, Issue 26, p. 11390-11398
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: