Crystalline bipyridinium radical complexes and uses thereof
Described herein are methods of generating 4,4'-bipyridinium radical cations (BIPY.sup..cndot.+), and methods for utilizing the radical-radical interactions between two or more BIPY.sup..cndot.+ radical cations that ensue for the creation of novel materials for applications in nanotechnology. Synthetic methodologies, crystallographic engineering techniques, methods of physical characterization, and end uses are described.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) DOESC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Sep 21
- Research Org:
- Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 38 RADIATION CHEMISTRY, RADIOCHEMISTRY, AND NUCLEAR CHEMISTRY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Mechanical Bond Formation by Radical Templation
journal, September 2010
- Li, Hao; Fahrenbach, Albert C.; Dey, Sanjeev K.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 49, Issue 44, p. 8260-8265
A Light-Stimulated Molecular Switch Driven by Radical-Radical Interactions in Water
journal, June 2011
- Li, Hao; Fahrenbach, Albert C.; Coskun, Ali
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 50, Issue 30, p. 6782-6788
Electrostatic Barriers in Rotaxanes and Pseudorotaxanes
journal, April 2011
- Hmadeh, Mohamad; Fahrenbach, Albert C.; Basu, Subhadeep
- Chemistry - A European Journal, Vol. 17, Issue 22, p. 6076-6087
Complexation of diquat and paraquat by macrocyclic polyethers incorporating two dibydroxynaphthalene residues
journal, January 1987
- Ashtona, Peter R.; Chrystal, Ewan J. T.; Mathias, John P.
- Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 28, Issue 50, p. 6367-6370
Isolation and oxidation-reduction of methylviologen cation radicals. Novel disproportionation in charge-transfer salts by x-ray crystallography
journal, June 1990
- Bockman, T. M.; Kochi, J. K.
- The Journal of Organic Chemistry, Vol. 55, Issue 13, p. 4127-4135
A Macrocycle/Molecular-Clip Complex that Functions as a Quadruply Controllable Molecular Switch
journal, January 2006
- Chiang, Pinn-Tsong; Cheng, Pin-Nan; Lin, Chi-Feng
- Chemistry - A European Journal, Vol. 12, Issue 3, p. 865-876
Microenvironment effects on the kinetics of electron-transfer reactions involving dithionite ions and viologens. 2. Stabilization of ion radicals by polyelectrolytes and dimerization kinetics of dialkyl viologens
journal, May 1992
- Claude-Montigny, B.; Merlin, A.; Tondre, C.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 96, Issue 11, p. 4432-4437
Polymer films on electrodes. 17. The application of simultaneous electrochemical and electron spin resonance techniques for the study of two viologen-based chemically modified electrodes
journal, May 1985
- Gaudiello, John G.; Ghosh, Pushpito K.; Bard, Allen J.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 107, Issue 11, p. 3027-3032
Single and double bridged viologenes and intramolecular pimerization of their cation radicals
journal, January 1986
- Geuder, Wolfram; Hünig, Siegfried; Suchy, Adolf
- Tetrahedron, Vol. 42, Issue 6, p. 1665-1677
Infrared spectra and dimer structure of reduced viologen compounds
journal, July 1987
- Ito, M.; Sasaki, H.; Takahashi, M.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 91, Issue 15, p. 3932-3934
A Pseudorotaxane-Based Molecular Machine: Reversible Formation of a Molecular Loop Driven by Electrochemical and Photochemical Stimuli
journal, September 2003
- Jeon, Woo Sung; Ziganshina, Albina Y.; Lee, Jae Wook
- Angewandte Chemie, Vol. 115, Issue 34, p. 4231-4234
Catalysis of methyl viologen radical reactions by polymer-stabilized gold sols
journal, January 1981
- Meisel, D.; Mulac, W. A.; Matheson, M. S.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 85, Issue 2, p. 179-187
Spin pairing (‘dimerisation’) of the viologen radical cation: kinetics and equilibria
journal, October 1999
- Monk, Paul M. S.; Hodgkinson, Neil M.; Ramzan, Saika A.
- Dyes and Pigments, Vol. 43, Issue 3, p. 207-217
The colours of charge-transfer complexes of methyl viologen: effects of donor, ionic strength and solvent
journal, October 1999
- Monk, Paul M. S.; Hodgkinson, Neil M.; Partridge, Robert D.
- Dyes and Pigments, Vol. 43, Issue 3, p. 241-251
Cyclobis(paraquat-p-phenylene). A Tetracationic Multipurpose Receptor
journal, November 1988
- Odell, Barbara; Reddington, Mark V.; Slawin, Alexandra M. Z.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English, Vol. 27, Issue 11, p. 1547-1550
Sodium dithionite reduction of nitroarenes using viologen as an electron phase-transfer catalyst
journal, November 1993
- Park, Kwanghee Koh; Oh, Chang Hun; Joung, Won Kyou
- Tetrahedron Letters, Vol. 34, Issue 46, p. 7445-7446
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: