Method for pretreating lignocellulosic biomass
The present invention relates to a method for pretreating lignocellulosic biomass containing alkali and/or alkaline earth metal (AAEM). The method comprises providing a lignocellulosic biomass containing AAEM; determining the amount of the AAEM present in the lignocellulosic biomass; identifying, based on said determining, the amount of a mineral acid sufficient to completely convert the AAEM in the lignocellulosic biomass to thermally-stable, catalytically-inert salts; and treating the lignocellulosic biomass with the identified amount of the mineral acid, wherein the treated lignocellulosic biomass contains thermally-stable, catalytically inert AAEM salts.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Iowa State University Research Foundation, Inc. (Ames, IA) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 14
- Research Org:
- Iowa State University Research Foundation, Inc., Ames, IA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 09 BIOMASS FUELS
Other works cited in this record:Pre-treatment of biomass with phosphoric acid prior to fast pyrolysis
journal, August 2003
- Dobele, G.; Dizhbite, T.; Rossinskaja, G.
- Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 68-69, p. 197-211
Application of catalysts for obtaining 1,6-anhydrosaccharides from cellulose and wood by fast pyrolysis
journal, August 2005
- Dobele, G.; Rossinskaja, G.; Dizhbite, T.
- Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 74, Issue 1-2, p. 401-405
Pretreatment of poplar wood for fast pyrolysis: rate of cation removal
journal, February 2001
- Scott, Donald S.; Paterson, Lachlan; Piskorz, Jan
- Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 57, Issue 2, p. 169-176
Production of levoglucosan and glucose from pyrolysis of cellulosic materials
journal, June 1979
- Shafizadeh, Fred; Furneaux, Richard H.; Cochran, Todd G.
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 23, Issue 12, p. 3525-3539
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: