High efficiency organic photovoltaic cells employing hybridized mixed-planar heterojunctions
A device is provided, having a first electrode, a second electrode, and a photoactive region disposed between the first electrode and the second electrode. The photoactive region includes a first photoactive organic layer that is a mixture of an organic acceptor material and an organic donor material, wherein the first photoactive organic layer has a thickness not greater than 0.8 characteristic charge transport lengths; a second photoactive organic layer in direct contact with the first organic layer, wherein the second photoactive organic layer is an unmixed layer of the organic acceptor material of the first photoactive organic layer, and the second photoactive organic layer has a thickness not less than about 0.1 optical absorption lengths; and a third photoactive organic layer disposed between the first electrode and the second electrode and in direct contact with the first photoactive organic layer. The third photoactive organic layer is an unmixed layer of the organic donor layer of the first photoactive organic layer and has a thickness not less than about 0.1 optical absorption lengths.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Trustees of Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Oct 31
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 14 SOLAR ENERGY
Other works cited in this record:Highly efficient p–i–n type organic photovoltaic devices
journal, March 2004
- Gebeyehu, D.; Pfeiffer, M.; Maennig, B.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 451-452, p. 29-32
Small molecular weight organic thin-film photodetectors and solar cells
journal, April 2003
- Peumans, Peter; Yakimov, Aharon; Forrest, Stephen R.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 93, Issue 7, p. 3693-3723
2.5% efficient organic plastic solar cells
journal, February 2001
- Shaheen, Sean E.; Brabec, Christoph J.; Sariciftci, N. Serdar
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, Issue 6, p. 841-843
Bulk-heterojunction photovoltaic devices based on donor–acceptor organic small molecule blends
journal, August 2003
- Gebeyehu, D.; Maennig, B.; Drechsel, J.
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 79, Issue 1, p. 81-92
Variable range hopping as possible origin of a universal relation between conductivity and mobility in disordered organic semiconductors
journal, December 2002
- Paasch, G.; Lindner, T.; Scheinert, S.
- Synthetic Metals, Vol. 132, Issue 1, p. 97-104
Polymer Photovoltaic Cells: Enhanced Efficiencies via a Network of Internal Donor-Acceptor Heterojunctions
journal, December 1995
- Yu, G.; Gao, J.; Hummelen, J. C.
- Science, Vol. 270, Issue 5243, p. 1789-1791
Effects of Postproduction Treatment on Plastic Solar Cells
journal, January 2003
- Padinger, F.; Rittberger, R. S.; Sariciftci, N. S.
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 1, p. 85-88
Monochromatic versus solar efficiencies of organic solar cells
journal, February 2000
- Rostalski, Jörn; Meissner, Dieter
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 61, Issue 1, p. 87-95
Study of localized and extended excitons in 3,4,9,10-perylenetetracarboxylic dianhydride (PTCDA) II. Photocurrent response at low electric fields
journal, October 1996
- Bulović, V.; Forrest, S. R.
- Chemical Physics, Vol. 210, Issue 1-2, p. 13-25
Modeling photocurrent action spectra of photovoltaic devices based on organic thin films
journal, July 1999
- Pettersson, Leif A. A.; Roman, Lucimara S.; Inganäs, Olle
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 86, Issue 1, p. 487-496
Photoluminescence quenching of Alq3 by metal deposition: A surface analytical investigation
journal, May 1998
- Choong, V.-E.; Park, Y.; Gao, Y.
- Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films, Vol. 16, Issue 3, p. 1838-1841
Exciton diffusion and dissociation in a poly(p‐phenylenevinylene)/C60 heterojunction photovoltaic cell
journal, May 1996
- Halls, J. J. M.; Pichler, K.; Friend, R. H.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 68, Issue 22, p. 3120-3122
Efficient photodiodes from interpenetrating polymer networks
journal, August 1995
- Halls, J. J. M.; Walsh, C. A.; Greenham, N. C.
- Nature, Vol. 376, Issue 6540, p. 498-500
Amorphous silicon alloy photovoltaic research—present and future
journal, January 2000
- Guha, S.; Yang, J.; Banerjee, A.
- Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications, Vol. 8, Issue 1, p. 141-150
High efficiency organic solar cells based on single or multiple PIN structures
journal, March 2004
- Drechsel, J.; Männig, B.; Kozlowski, F.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 451-452, p. 515-517
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: