Method and apparatus of wide-angle optical beamsteering from a nanoantenna phased array
An optical beam-steering apparatus is provided. The apparatus includes one or more optical waveguides and at least one row of metallic nanoantenna elements overlying and electromagnetically coupled to a respective waveguide. In each such row, individual nanoantenna elements are spaced apart along an optical propagation axis of the waveguide so that there is an optical propagation phase delay between successive pairs of nanoantenna elements along the row. The apparatus also includes a respective single electric heating element in thermal contact with each of the waveguides. Each heating element is arranged to heat, substantially uniformly, at least that portion of its waveguide that directly underlies the corresponding row of nanoantenna elements.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sandia Corporation (Albuquerque, NM) SSO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Feb 24
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 47 OTHER INSTRUMENTATION
Other works cited in this record:Fully integrated hybrid silicon free-space beam steering source with 32-channel phased array
conference, March 2014
- Hulme, J. C.; Doylend, J. K.; Heck, M. J. R.
- Smart Photonic and Optoelectronic Integrated Circuits XVI, Vol. 8989, Article No: 898907
Electronically controlled optical beam-steering by an active phased array of metallic nanoantennas
journal, January 2013
- DeRose, C. T.; Kekatpure, R. D.; Trotter, D. C.
- Optics Express, Vol. 21, Issue 4, p. 5198-5208
Two-dimensional free-space beam steering with an optical phased array on silicon-on-insulator
journal, January 2011
- Doylend, J. K.; Heck, M. J. R.; Bovington, J. T.
- Optics Express, Vol. 19, Issue 22, p. 21595-21604
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: