High surface area, electrically conductive nanocarbon-supported metal oxide
A metal oxide-carbon composite includes a carbon aerogel with an oxide overcoat. The metal oxide-carbon composite is made by providing a carbon aerogel, immersing the carbon aerogel in a metal oxide sol under a vacuum, raising the carbon aerogel with the metal oxide sol to atmospheric pressure, curing the carbon aerogel with the metal oxide sol at room temperature, and drying the carbon aerogel with the metal oxide sol to produce the metal oxide-carbon composite. The step of providing a carbon aerogel can provide an activated carbon aerogel or provide a carbon aerogel with carbon nanotubes that make the carbon aerogel mechanically robust.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (Livermore, CA) LLNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Jan 15
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Method for sorption and desorption of molecular gas contained by storage sites of nano-filament laded reticulated aerogel
patent, June 2005
- Struthers, Ralph; Chang, David; Toossi, Reza
- US Patent Document 6,906,003
Aerogel and xerogel composites for use as carbon anodes
patent, August 2008
- Cooper, John; Tillotson, Thomas; Hrubesh, Lawrence
- US Patent Document 7,410,718
High surface area carbon nanotube-supported titanium carbonitride aerogels
journal, January 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Kuntz, Joshua D.; Pauzauskie, Peter J.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 19, Issue 31, p. 5503-5506
New Class of Carbon-Nanotube Aerogel Electrodes for Electrochemical Power Sources
journal, February 2008
- Bordjiba, T.; Mohamedi, M.; Dao, L. H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 815-819
Carbon Nanotube Aerogels
journal, March 2007
- Bryning, M. B.; Milkie, D. E.; Islam, M. F.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 5, p. 661-664
Synthesis and characterization of tin oxide/carbon aerogel composite electrodes for electrochemical supercapacitors
journal, October 2007
- Hwang, Sung-Woo; Hyun, Sang-Hoon
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 172, Issue 1, p. 451-459
Depth-sensing indentation of low-density brittle nanoporous solids
journal, July 2009
- Kucheyev, S. O.; Hamza, A. V.; Satcher Jr., J. H.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, Issue 12, p. 3472-3480
Metal-carbon aerogels as catalysts and catalyst supports
book, January 2000
- Maldonado-Hòdar, F. J.; Moreno-Castilla, C.; Rivera-Utrilla, J.
- Studies in Surface Science and Catalysis, Vol. 130, p. 1007-1012
Group 6 metal oxide-carbon aerogels. Their synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity in the skeletal isomerization of 1-butene
journal, July 1999
- Moreno-Castilla, Carlos; José Maldonado-Hódar, Francisco; Rivera-Utrilla, José
- Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 183, Issue 2, p. 345-356
Carbon aerogels for electrochemical applications
journal, April 1998
- Pekala, R. W.; Farmer, J. C.; Alviso, C. T.
- Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, Vol. 225, p. 74-80
Planar fibre reinforced carbon aerogels for application in PEM fuel cells
journal, May 2001
- Petričević, R.; Glora, M.; Fricke, J.
- Carbon, Vol. 39, Issue 6, p. 857-867
Synthesis and Characterization of Nanocarbon-Supported Titanium Dioxide
journal, January 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A; Kuntz, Joshua D.; Cervantes, Octavio
- MRS Proceedings, Vol. 1174
Route to high surface area TiO2/C and TiCN/C composites
journal, January 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Kuntz, Joshua D.; Cervantes, Octavio
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 19, Issue 38, p. 7146-7150
Mechanically robust and electrically conductive carbon nanotube foams
journal, February 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Kucheyev, Sergei O.; Satcher, Joe H.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 94, Issue 7, Article No. 073115
Properties of single-walled carbon nanotube-based aerogels as a function of nanotube loading
journal, October 2009
- Worsley, Marcus A.; Pauzauskie, Peter J.; Kucheyev, Sergei O.
- Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, Issue 17, p. 5131-5136
Fast hydrogen generation from NaBH4 hydrolysis catalyzed by carbon aerogels supported cobalt nanoparticles
journal, August 2013
- Zhu, Jie; Li, Rong; Niu, Weiling
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, Issue 25, p. 10864-10870
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: