Nanostructured carbon materials for adsorption of methane and other gases
Provided are methods for storing gases on porous adsorbents, methods for optimizing the storage of gases on porous adsorbents, methods of making porous adsorbents, and methods of gas storage of optimized compositions, as in systems containing porous adsorbents and gas adsorbed on the surface of the porous adsorbent. The disclosed methods and systems feature a constant or increasing isosteric enthalpy of adsorption as a function of uptake of the gas onto the exposed surface of a porous adsorbent. Adsorbents with a porous geometry and surface dimensions suited to a particular adsorbate are exposed to the gas at elevated pressures in the specific regime where n/V (density) is larger than predicted by the ideal gas law by more than several percent.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- California Institute of Technology (Pasadena, CA) EFRC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Oct 10
- Research Org:
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 03 NATURAL GAS; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Fundamentals of methane adsorption in microporous carbons
journal, August 2009
- Alcañiz-Monge, J.; Lozano-Castelló, D.; Cazorla-Amorós, D.
- Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Vol. 124, Issue 1-3, p. 110-116
Adsorption isotherms for microporous adsorbents
journal, January 1995
- Aranovich, Grigoriy L.; Donohue, Marc D.
- Carbon, Vol. 33, Issue 10, p. 1369-1375
A study of the pore size distribution for activated carbon monoliths and their relationship with the storage of methane and hydrogen
journal, March 2010
- Blanco, A. A. García; de Oliveira, J. C. Alexandre; López, R.
- Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 357, Issue 1-3, p. 74-83
Nanostructured carbon for energy storage and conversion
journal, March 2012
- Candelaria, Stephanie L.; Shao, Yuyan; Zhou, Wei
- Nano Energy, Vol. 1, Issue 2, p. 195-220
Influence of pore geometry on the design of microporous materials for methane storage
journal, January 1993
- Cracknell, Roger F.; Gordon, Peter; Gubbins, Keith E.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 97, Issue 2, p. 494-499
Methane storage in carbon pellets prepared via a binderless method
journal, February 2011
- Guan, C.; Loo, Leslie S.; Wang, K.
- Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 52, Issue 2, p. 1258-1262
The temperature dependence of isosteric heat of adsorption on the heterogeneous surface
journal, April 1972
- Huang, Yun-Yang
- Journal of Catalysis, Vol. 25, Issue 1, p. 131-138
Hydrogen adsorption in carbonaceous materials–: How to determine the storage capacity accurately
journal, January 2002
- Kiyobayashi, Tetsu; Takeshita, Hiroyuki T.; Tanaka, Hideaki
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 330-332, p. 666-669
Influence of pore size distribution on methane storage at relatively low pressure: preparation of activated carbon with optimum pore size
journal, June 2002
- Lozano-Castelló, D.; Cazorla-Amorós, D.; Linares-Solano, A.
- Carbon, Vol. 40, Issue 7, p. 989-1002
Storage of natural gas by adsorption on activated carbon
journal, May 1992
- Matranga, Kimberly R.; Myers, Alan L.; Glandt, Eduardo D.
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 47, Issue 7, p. 1569-1579
Determination of absolute adsorption in highly ordered porous media
journal, June 2009
- Mertens, Florian O.
- Surface Science, Vol. 603, Issue 10-12, p. 1979-1984
Simulation studies of methane transport in model graphite micropores
journal, October 1998
- Nicholson, David
- Carbon, Vol. 36, Issue 10, p. 1511-1523
Templated Nanocarbons for Energy Storage
journal, July 2012
- Nishihara, Hirotomo; Kyotani, Takashi
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, Issue 33, p. 4473-4498
Hydrogen adsorption in different carbon nanostructures
journal, August 2005
- Panella, Barbara; Hirscher, Michael; Roth, Siegmar
- Carbon, Vol. 43, Issue 10, p. 2209-2214
Equilibrium, kinetics and enthalpy of hydrogen adsorption in MOF-177
journal, December 2008
- Saha, D.; Wei, Z.; Deng, S.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 33, Issue 24, p. 7479-7488
Experimental and theoretical study of methane adsorption on granular activated carbons
journal, April 2011
- Wang, Yuguo; Ercan, Cemal; Khawajah, Anwar
- AIChE Journal, Vol. 58, Issue 3, p. 782-788
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: