Strain sensors, methods of making same, and applications of same
In one aspect, the present invention relates to a layered structure usable in a strain sensor. In one embodiment, the layered structure has a substrate with a first surface and an opposite, second surface defining a body portion therebetween; and a film of carbon nanotubes deposited on the first surface of the substrate, wherein the film of carbon nanotubes is conductive and characterized with an electrical resistance. In one embodiment, the carbon nanotubes are aligned in a preferential direction. In one embodiment, the carbon nanotubes are formed in a yarn such that any mechanical stress increases their electrical response. In one embodiment, the carbon nanotubes are incorporated into a polymeric scaffold that is attached to the surface of the substrate. In one embodiment, the surfaces of the carbon nanotubes are functionalized such that its electrical conductivity is increased.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Board of Trustees of the University of Arkansas (Little Rock, AR) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Oct 29
- Research Org:
- Board of Trustees of the University of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:An electromechanical material testing system for in situ electron microscopy and applications
journal, September 2005
- Zhu, Y.; Espinosa, H. D.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 102, Issue 41, p. 14503-14508
Mechanical properties of vapor-grown carbon fiber
journal, January 1995
- Jacobsen, R. L.; Tritt, T. M.; Guth, J. R.
- Carbon, Vol. 33, Issue 9, p. 1217-1221
The effect of annealing on the electrical and thermal transport properties of macroscopic bundles of long multi-wall carbon nanotubes
journal, January 2007
- Jin, R.; Zhou, Z. X.; Mandrus, D.
- Physica B: Condensed Matter, Vol. 388, Issue 1-2, p. 326-330
Comparative study of first- and second-order Raman spectra of MWCNT at visible and infrared laser excitation
journal, September 2006
- Antunes, E. F.; Lobo, A. O.; Corat, E. J.
- Carbon, Vol. 44, Issue 11, p. 2202-2211
Raman spectroscopy of carbon nanotubes
journal, March 2005
- Dresselhaus, M.S.; Dresselhaus, G.; Saito, R.
- Physics Reports, Vol. 409, Issue 2, p. 47-99
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: