Periodic nanostructures from self assembled wedge-type block-copolymers
The invention provides a class of wedge-type block copolymers having a plurality of chemically different blocks, at least a portion of which incorporates a wedge group-containing block providing useful properties. For example, use of one or more wedge group-containing blocks in some block copolymers of the invention significantly inhibits chain entanglement and, thus, the present block copolymers materials provide a class of polymer materials capable of efficient molecular self-assembly to generate a range of structures, such as periodic nanostructures and microstructures. Materials of the present invention include copolymers having one or more wedge group-containing blocks, and optionally for some applications copolymers also incorporating one or more polymer side group-containing blocks. The present invention also provides useful methods of making and using wedge-type block copolymers.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- California Institute of Technology (Pasadena, CA) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Synthesis, characterization and modification of azide-containing dendronized diblock copolymers
journal, March 2009
- Fiset, Erika; Morin, Jean-François
- Polymer, Vol. 50, Issue 6, p. 1369-1377
Self-assembly of block copolymer thin films
journal, June 2010
- Albert, Julie N. L.; Epps, Thomas H.
- Materials Today, Vol. 13, Issue 6, p. 24-33
Plasmonics for improved photovoltaic devices
journal, February 2010
- Atwater, Harry A.; Polman, Albert
- Nature Materials, Vol. 9, Issue 3, p. 205-213
Block Copolymer Nanolithography: Translation of Molecular Level Control to Nanoscale Patterns
journal, July 2009
- Bang, Joona; Jeong, Unyong; Ryu, Du Yeol
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 21, Issue 47, p. 4769-4792
Dual Templating Synthesis of Mesoporous Titanium Nitride Microspheres
journal, August 2009
- Bang, Jin Ho; Suslick, Kenneth S.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 21, Issue 31, p. 3186-3190
Responsive polymers in controlled drug delivery
journal, November 2008
- Bajpai, A. K.; Shukla, Sandeep K.; Bhanu, Smitha
- Progress in Polymer Science, Vol. 33, Issue 11, p. 1088-1118
Modelling of the urban heat island and of its interaction with pollutant dispersal
journal, January 1982
- Bennett, M.; Saab, A. E.
- Atmospheric Environment (1967), Vol. 16, Issue 8, p. 1797-1822
Living ring-opening metathesis polymerization
journal, January 2007
- Bielawski, Christopher W.; Grubbs, Robert H.
- Progress in Polymer Science, Vol. 32, Issue 1, p. 1-29
Integration of self-assembled diblock copolymers for semiconductor capacitor fabrication
journal, July 2001
- Black, C. T.; Guarini, K. W.; Milkove, K. R.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 79, Issue 3, p. 409-411
Microporous materials: Electrochemically grown photonic crystals
journal, December 1999
- Braun, Paul V.; Wiltzius, Pierre
- Nature, Vol. 402, Issue 6762, p. 603-604
Fabrication of photonic crystals for the visible spectrum by holographic lithography
journal, March 2000
- Campbell, M.; Sharp, D. N.; Harrison, M. T.
- Nature, Vol. 404, Issue 6773, p. 53-56
Formation of a Cobalt Magnetic Dot Array via Block Copolymer Lithography
journal, August 2001
- Cheng, J.Y.; Ross, C.A.; Chan, V.Z.-H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 15, p. 1174-1178
Templated Self-Assembly of Block Copolymers: Top-Down Helps Bottom-Up
journal, October 2006
- Cheng, J. Y.; Ross, C. A.; Smith, H. I.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 18, Issue 19, p. 2505-2521
Polymer-Based Photonic Crystals
journal, March 2001
- Edrington, A. C.; Urbas, A. M.; DeRege, P.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 13, Issue 6, p. 421-425
Design Considerations for Plasmonic Photovoltaics
journal, September 2010
- Ferry, Vivian E.; Munday, Jeremy N.; Atwater, Harry A.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 22, Issue 43, p. 4794-4808
Block copolymers as photonic bandgap materials
journal, November 1999
- Fink, Y.; Urbas, A. M.; Bawendi, M. G.
- Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, Issue 11, p. 1963-1969
Self-Assembled Photonic Structures
journal, September 2010
- Galisteo-López, Juan F.; Ibisate, Marta; Sapienza, Riccardo
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 23, Issue 1, p. 30-69
Responsive Photonic Crystals
journal, January 2011
- Ge, Jianping; Yin, Yadong
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 50, Issue 7, p. 1492-1522
The Macromolecular Route to Chiral Amplification
journal, November 1999
- Green, Mark M.; Park, Ji-Woong; Sato, Takahiro
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 38, Issue 21, p. 3138-3154
Macromolecular stereochemistry: the out-of-proportion influence of optically active comonomers on the conformational characteristics of polyisocyanates. The sergeants and soldiers experiment
journal, August 1989
- Green, Mark M.; Reidy, Michael P.; Johnson, Robert D.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 111, Issue 16, p. 6452-6454
Block Copolymer Lithography: Merging “Bottom-Up” with “Top-Down” Processes
journal, December 2005
- Hawker, Craig J.; Russell, Thomas P.
- MRS Bulletin, Vol. 30, Issue 12, p. 952-966
Linear Rheological Response of a Series of Densely Branched Brush Polymers
journal, September 2011
- Hu, Miao; Xia, Yan; McKenna, Gregory B.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 44, Issue 17, p. 6935-6943
Fabricating complex three-dimensional nanostructures with high-resolution conformable phase masks
journal, August 2004
- Jeon, S.; Park, J.-U.; Cirelli, R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 34, p. 12428-12433
Simple Synthesis of Poly(acetylene) Latex Particles in Aqueous Media
journal, December 2003
- Krause, Jens O.; Zarka, M. Tobias; Anders, Udo
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 42, Issue 48, p. 5965-5969
Quasi-Amorphous Colloidal Structures for Electrically Tunable Full-Color Photonic Pixels with Angle-Independency
journal, August 2010
- Lee, Insook; Kim, Daihyun; Kal, Jinha
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 22, Issue 44, p. 4973-4977
The ROMP toolbox upgraded
journal, June 2010
- Leitgeb, Anita; Wappel, Julia; Slugovc, Christian
- Polymer, Vol. 51, Issue 14, p. 2927-2946
Dense arrays of ordered GaAs nanostructures by selective area growth on substrates patterned by block copolymer lithography
journal, March 2000
- Li, R. R.; Dapkus, P. D.; Thompson, M. E.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 76, Issue 13, p. 1689-1691
A three-dimensional photonic crystal operating at infrared wavelengths
journal, July 1998
- Lin, S. Y.; Fleming, J. G.; Hetherington, D. L.
- Nature, Vol. 394, Issue 6690, p. 251-253
Hierarchical self-assembly of metal nanostructures on diblock copolymer scaffolds
journal, December 2001
- Lopes, Ward A.; Jaeger, Heinrich M.
- Nature, Vol. 414, Issue 6865, p. 735-738
Conformationally asymmetric block copolymers
journal, April 1997
- Matsen, M. W.; Bates, F. S.
- Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, Vol. 35, Issue 6, p. 945-952
Chiral polyisocyanates, a special class of helical polymers
journal, December 2001
- Mayer, Sabine; Zentel, Rudolf
- Progress in Polymer Science, Vol. 26, Issue 10, p. 1973-2013
Opalescent Cholesteric Networks from Chiral Polyisocyanates in Polystyrene
journal, March 1998
- Maxein, Georg; Keller, Harald; Novak, Bruce M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 10, Issue 4, p. 341-345
Precisely Tunable Photonic Crystals From Rapidly Self-Assembling Brush Block Copolymer Blends
journal, September 2012
- Miyake, Garret M.; Piunova, Victoria A.; Weitekamp, Raymond A.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 51, Issue 45, p. 11246-11248
How dense are cylindrical brushes grafted from a multifunctional macroinitiator?
journal, November 2004
- Neugebauer, Dorota; Sumerlin, Brent S.; Matyjaszewski, Krzysztof
- Polymer, Vol. 45, Issue 24, p. 8173-8179
Nanostructured polymers for photonics
journal, April 2008
- Paquet, Chantal; Kumacheva, Eugenia
- Materials Today, Vol. 11, Issue 4, p. 48-56
Block Copolymer Lithography: Periodic Arrays of 1011 Holes in 1 Square Centimeter
journal, May 1997
- Park, Miri; Harrison, Christopher; Chaikin, Paul M.
- Science, Vol. 276, Issue 5317, p. 1401-1404
Enabling nanotechnology with self assembled block copolymer patterns
journal, October 2003
- Park, Cheolmin; Yoon, Jongseung; Thomas, Edwin L.
- Polymer, Vol. 44, Issue 22, p. 6725-6760
Macroscopic 10-Terabit-per-Square-Inch Arrays from Block Copolymers with Lateral Order
journal, February 2009
- Park, Soojin; Lee, Dong Hyun; Xu, Ji
- Science, Vol. 323, Issue 5917, p. 1030-1033
"Living" titanium(IV) catalyzed coordination polymerizations of isocyanates
journal, June 1991
- Patten, Timothy E.; Novak, Bruce M.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 113, Issue 13, p. 5065-5066
Aluminum nanowire polarizing grids: Fabrication and analysis
journal, May 2006
- Pelletier, Vincent; Asakawa, Koji; Wu, Mingshaw
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 88, Issue 21, Article No. 211114
A review on the generation, determination and mitigation of Urban Heat Island
journal, January 2008
- Rizwan, Ahmed Memon; Dennis, Leung Y. C.; Liu, Chunho
- Journal of Environmental Sciences, Vol. 20, Issue 1, p. 120-128
Patterning with block copolymer thin films
journal, February 2005
- Segalman, Rachel A.
- Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports, Vol. 48, Issue 6, p. 191-226
Block copolymers and conventional lithography
journal, September 2006
- Stoykovich, Mark P.; Nealey, Paul F.
- Materials Today, Vol. 9, Issue 9, p. 20-29
Rapid self-assembly of brush block copolymers to photonic crystals
journal, August 2012
- Sveinbjornsson, B. R.; Weitekamp, R. A.; Miyake, G. M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 109, Issue 36, p. 14332-14336
Ultrahigh-Density Nanowire Arrays Grown in Self-Assembled Diblock Copolymer Templates
journal, December 2000
- Thurn-Albrecht, T.; Schotter, J.; Kastle, G. A.
- Science, Vol. 290, Issue 5499, p. 2126-2129
Tunable Block Copolymer/Homopolymer Photonic Crystals
journal, June 2000
- Urbas, A.; Sharp, R.; Fink, Y.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 12, Issue 11, p. 812-814
Perpendicular orientation of cylindrical domains upon solvent annealing thin films of polystyrene-b-polylactide
journal, May 2010
- Vayer, Marylène; Hillmyer, Marc A.; Dirany, Mohammed
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 518, Issue 14, p. 3710-3715
Metal cluster enhanced organic solar cells
journal, February 2000
- Westphalen, M.; Kreibig, U.; Rostalski, J.
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Vol. 61, Issue 1, p. 97-105
Efficient Synthesis of Narrowly Dispersed Brush Copolymers and Study of Their Assemblies: The Importance of Side Chain Arrangement
journal, December 2009
- Xia, Yan; Olsen, Bradley D.; Kornfield, Julia A.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 131, Issue 51, p. 18525-18532
Efficient Synthesis of Narrowly Dispersed Brush Polymers via Living Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization of Macromonomers
journal, June 2009
- Xia, Yan; Kornfield, Julia A.; Grubbs, Robert H.
- Macromolecules, Vol. 42, Issue 11, p. 3761-3766
Fabrication of Silicon Oxide Nanodots with an Areal Density Beyond 1 Teradots Inch−2
journal, November 2011
- Xu, Ji; Hong, Sung Woo; Gu, Weiyin
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 23, Issue 48, p. 5755-5761
Cylindrical polymer brushes
journal, January 2005
- Zhang, Mingfu; Müller, Axel H. E.
- Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, Vol. 43, Issue 16, p. 3461-3481
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: