Electrode structure and method for making the same
Electrode structures, and more specifically, electrode structures for use in electrochemical cells, are provided. The electrode structures described herein may include one or more protective layers. In one set of embodiments, a protective layer may be formed by exposing a lithium metal surface to a plasma comprising ions of a gas to form a ceramic layer on top of the lithium metal. The ceramic layer may be highly conductive to lithium ions and may protect the underlying lithium metal surface from reaction with components in the electrolyte. In some cases, the ions may be nitrogen ions and a lithium nitride layer may be formed on the lithium metal surface. In other embodiments, the protective layer may be formed by converting lithium to lithium nitride at high pressures. Other methods for forming protective layers are also provided.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sion Power Corporation (Tucson, AZ) HQPR
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- Sion Power Corporation, Tucson, AZ (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 70 PLASMA PHYSICS AND FUSION TECHNOLOGY; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION
Other works cited in this record:Protective lithium ion conducting ceramic coating for lithium metal anodes and associate method
patent, May 1994
- Bates, John B.
- US Patent Document 5,314,765
Characterization of micro- and mesoporous solids by physisorption methods and pore-size analysis
journal, November 1998
- Storck, Sebastian; Bretinger, Helmut; Maier, Wilhelm F.
- Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 174, Issue 1-2, p. 137-146
A solid-state electrolyte lithium phosphorus oxynitride film prepared by pulsed laser deposition
journal, August 2002
- Zhao, Shengli; Fu, Zhengwen; Qin, Qizong
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 415, Issue 1-2, p. 108-113
The reaction of lithium with carbon dioxide studied by photoelectron spectroscopy
journal, November 1998
- Zhuang, Guorong; Chen, Yufeng; Ross, Philip N.
- Surface Science, Vol. 418, Issue 1, p. 139-149
Study on diffusion and flow of benzene, n-hexane and CCl4 in activated carbon by a differential permeation method
journal, August 2002
- Bae, Jun-Seok; Do, D. D.
- Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 57, Issue 15, p. 3013-3024
Adsorption of Gases in Multimolecular Layers
journal, February 1938
- Brunauer, Stephen; Emmett, P. H.; Teller, Edward
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 60, Issue 2, p. 309-319
Rechargeable Lithium Sulfur Battery
journal, May 2003
- Cheon, Sang-Eun; Ko, Ki-Seok; Cho, Ji-Hoon
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 150, Issue 6, p. A800-A805
A new diffusion and flow theory for activated carbon from low pressure to capillary condensation range
journal, December 2001
- Do, H. D.; Do, D. D.
- Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 84, Issue 3, p. 295-308
Permeability, diffusivity, and microstructural parameters: A critical review
journal, July 1990
- Garboczi, Edward J.
- Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 591-601
Lithium metal stripping/plating mechanisms studies: A metallurgical approach
journal, October 2006
- Gireaud, L.; Grugeon, S.; Laruelle, S.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 8, Issue 10, p. 1639-1649
Mechanisms of vapor permeation through multilayer barrier films: Lag time versus equilibrium permeation
journal, August 2004
- Graff, G. L.; Williford, R. E.; Burrows, P. E.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 96, Issue 4, p. 1840-1849
Adsorption Surface Area and Porosity
journal, January 1967
- Gregg, S. J.; Sing, K. S. W.; Salzberg, H. W.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 114, Issue 11, p. 279C
A High-Performance Polymer Tin Sulfur Lithium Ion Battery
journal, February 2010
- Hassoun, Jusef; Scrosati, Bruno
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 49, Issue 13, p. 2371-2374
All-solid-state rechargeable lithium batteries with Li2S as a positive electrode material
journal, August 2008
- Hayashi, Akitoshi; Ohtsubo, Ryoji; Ohtomo, Takamasa
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 183, Issue 1, p. 422-426
A highly ordered nanostructured carbon–sulphur cathode for lithium–sulphur batteries
journal, May 2009
- Ji, Xiulei; Lee, Kyu Tae; Nazar, Linda F.
- Nature Materials, Vol. 8, Issue 6, p. 500-506
Correlation between positive-electrode morphology and sulfur utilization in lithium–sulfur battery
journal, May 2004
- Kim, Nam-In; Lee, Chae-Bong; Seo, Jae-Man
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 132, Issue 1-2, p. 209-212
Porous Metals from Colloidal Templates
journal, June 2000
- Kulinowski, K. M.; Jiang, P.; Vaswani, H.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 12, Issue 11, p. 833-838
Synthesis and Electrochemical Performance of Sulfur/Highly Porous Carbon Composites
journal, February 2009
- Lai, C.; Gao, X. P.; Zhang, B.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 113, Issue 11, p. 4712-4716
Structure and electrical properties of carbon black
journal, February 2002
- Probst, Nicolaus; Grivei, Eusebiu
- Carbon, Vol. 40, Issue 2, p. 201-205
Discharge behavior of lithium/sulfur cell with TEGDME based electrolyte at low temperature
journal, December 2006
- Ryu, Ho-Suk; Ahn, Hyo-Jun; Kim, Ki-Won
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 163, Issue 1, p. 201-206
Simulation studies of sorption in model cylindrical micropores
journal, July 1998
- Steele, William A.; Bojan, Mary J.
- Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 76-77, p. 153-178
The Physical adsorption of gases on solids
journal, March 1967
- Steele, William A.
- Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 3-78
Preparation of electrochemically active lithium sulfide–carbon composites using spark-plasma-sintering process
journal, May 2010
- Takeuchi, Tomonari; Sakaebe, Hikari; Kageyama, Hiroyuki
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 195, Issue 9, p. 2928-2934
Electrochemical characteristics of sulfur composite cathode materials in rechargeable lithium batteries
journal, November 2004
- Wang, Jiulin; Wang, Yaowu; He, Xiangming
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 138, Issue 1-2, p. 271-273
Polymer lithium cells with sulfur composites as cathode materials
journal, June 2003
- Wang, Jiulin; Liu, Lu; Ling, Zhijun
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 48, Issue 13, p. 1861-1867
Sulfur–carbon nano-composite as cathode for rechargeable lithium battery based on gel electrolyte
journal, June 2002
- Wang, J. L.; Yang, J.; Xie, J. Y.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 4, Issue 6, p. 499-502
Preparation and characterization of three dimensionally ordered macroporous Li4Ti5O12 anode for lithium batteries
journal, November 2007
- Woo, Sang-Wook; Dokko, Kaoru; Kanamura, Kiyoshi
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 53, Issue 1, p. 79-82
Improvement of cycle property of sulfur-coated multi-walled carbon nanotubes composite cathode for lithium/sulfur batteries
journal, April 2009
- Yuan, Lixia; Yuan, Huiping; Qiu, Xinping
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 189, Issue 2, p. 1141-1146
Dual-Scale Porous Electrodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells from Polymer Foams
journal, February 2005
- Zhang, Y.; Zha, S.; Liu, M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 4, p. 487-491
Novel nanosized adsorbing sulfur composite cathode materials for the advanced secondary lithium batteries
journal, January 2006
- Zheng, W.; Liu, Y. W.; Hu, X. G.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 51, Issue 7, p. 1330-1335
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: