Underpotential deposition-mediated layer-by-layer growth of thin films
A method of depositing contiguous, conformal submonolayer-to-multilayer thin films with atomic-level control is described. The process involves the use of underpotential deposition of a first element to mediate the growth of a second material by overpotential deposition. Deposition occurs between a potential positive to the bulk deposition potential for the mediating element where a full monolayer of mediating element forms, and a potential which is less than, or only slightly greater than, the bulk deposition potential of the material to be deposited. By cycling the applied voltage between the bulk deposition potential for the mediating element and the material to be deposited, repeated desorption/adsorption of the mediating element during each potential cycle can be used to precisely control film growth on a layer-by-layer basis. This process is especially suitable for the formation of a catalytically active layer on core-shell particles for use in energy conversion devices such as fuel cells.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC (Upton, NY) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION; 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS
Other works cited in this record:Electrochemical Designing of Au/Pt Core Shell Nanoparticles as Nanostructured Catalyst with Tunable Activity for Oxygen Reduction
journal, February 2007
- Zhai, Junfeng; Huang, Minghua; Dong, Shaojun
- Electroanalysis, Vol. 19, Issue 4, p. 506-509
Overpotential deposition of Ag monolayer and bilayer on Au(111) mediated by Pb adlayer underpotential deposition/stripping cycles
journal, August 2003
- Wang, J. X.; Ocko, B. M.; Adzic, R. R.
- Surface Science, Vol. 540, Issue 2-3, p. 230-236
Platinum Monolayer on Nonnoble Metal−Noble Metal Core−Shell Nanoparticle Electrocatalysts for O2 Reduction
journal, December 2005
- Zhang, J.; Lima, F. H. B.; Shao, M. H.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 109, Issue 48, p. 22701-22704
Pt submonolayers on metal nanoparticles—novel electrocatalysts for H2 oxidation and O2 reduction
journal, November 2003
- Sasaki, K.; Mo, Y.; Wang, J. X.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 48, Issue 25-26, p. 3841-3849
Metal monolayer deposition by replacement of metal adlayers on electrode surfaces
journal, March 2001
- Brankovic, S. R.; Wang, J. X.; Adžić, R. R.
- Surface Science, Vol. 474, Issue 1-3, p. L173-L179
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: