Bacteriostatic and anti-collagenolytic dental materials through the incorporation of polyacrylic acid modified CuI nanoparticles
Provided are antibacterial and antimicrobial surface coatings and dental materials by utilizing the antimicrobial properties of copper chalcogenide and/or copper halide (CuQ, where Q=chalcogens including oxygen, or halogens, or nothing). An antimicrobial barrier is created by incorporation of CuQ nanoparticles of an appropriate size and at a concentration necessary and sufficient to create a unique bioelectrical environment. The unique bioelectrical environment results in biocidal effectiveness through a multi-factorial mechanism comprising a combination of the intrinsic quantum flux of copper (Cu.sup.0, Cu.sup.1+, Cu.sup.2+) ions and the high surface-to-volume electron sink facilitated by the nanoparticle. The result is the constant quantum flux of copper which manifests and establishes the antimicrobial environment preventing or inhibiting the growth of bacteria. The presence of CuQ results in inhibiting or delaying bacterial destruction and endogenous enzymatic breakdown of the zone of resin inter-diffusion, the integrity of which is essential for dental restoration longevity.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- MUSC Foundation for Research Development (Charleston, SC) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Research Org:
- MUSC Foundation for Research Development, Charleston, SC (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 60 APPLIED LIFE SCIENCES; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:A novel study of antibacterial activity of copper iodide nanoparticle mediated by DNA and membrane damage
journal, August 2012
- Pramanik, Arindam; Laha, Dipranjan; Bhattacharya, Debalina
- Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Vol. 96, p. 50-55
High-fluence implantation of negative metal ions into polymers for surface modification and nanoparticle formation
journal, June 2005
- Boldyryeva, H.; Umeda, N.; Plaksin, O. A.
- Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 196, Issue 1-3, p. 373-377
A comparison of the mechanical properties of a gallium-based alloy with a spherical high-copper amalgam
journal, March 2001
- Shaini, F. J.; Fleming, G. J. P.; Shortall, A. C. C.
- Dental Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 2, p. 142-148
Electrospinning: Applications in drug delivery and tissue engineering
journal, May 2008
- Sill, Travis J.; von Recum, Horst A.
- Biomaterials, Vol. 29, Issue 13, p. 1989-2006
Characterisation of copper oxide nanoparticles for antimicrobial applications
journal, June 2009
- Ren, Guogang; Hu, Dawei; Cheng, Eileen W. C.
- International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, Vol. 33, Issue 6, p. 587-590
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: