Disclosed are systems and methods for coupling translation of a target gene to a detectable response gene. A version of the invention includes a translation-coupling cassette. The translation-coupling cassette includes a target gene, a response gene, a response-gene translation control element, and a secondary structure-forming sequence that reversibly forms a secondary structure masking the response-gene translation control element. Masking of the response-gene translation control element inhibits translation of the response gene. Full translation of the target gene results in unfolding of the secondary structure and consequent translation of the response gene. Translation of the target gene is determined by detecting presence of the response-gene protein product. The invention further includes RNA transcripts of the translation-coupling cassettes, vectors comprising the translation-coupling cassettes, hosts comprising the translation-coupling cassettes, methods of using the translation-coupling cassettes, and gene products produced with the translation-coupling cassettes.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (Madison, WI) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Oct 01
- Research Org:
- Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, Madison, WI (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Tuning genetic control through promoter engineering
journal, August 2005
- Alper, H.; Fischer, C.; Nevoigt, E.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 102, Issue 36, p. 12678-12683
 Expression and secretion vectors for yeast
book, January 1987
- Bitter, Grant A.; Egan, Kevin M.; Koski, Raymond A.
- Recombinant DNA Part D, Vol. 153, p. 516-544
Fate of transforming DNA following uptake by competent Bacillus subtilis: I. Formation and properties of the donor-recipient complex
journal, March 1971
- Dubnau, David; Davidoff-Abelson, Rosa
- Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 56, Issue 2, p. 209-221
Powerful and versatile enhancer-promoter unit for mammalian expression vectors
journal, January 1986
- Foecking, Mary K.; Hofstetter, Hans
- Gene, Vol. 45, Issue 1, p. 101-105
Functional relationships between transcriptional control signals of the thymidine kinase gene of herpes simplex virus
journal, December 1982
- McKnight, Steven L.
- Cell, Vol. 31, Issue 2, p. 355-365
A translation-coupling DNA cassette for monitoring protein translation in Escherichia coli
journal, July 2012
- Mendez-Perez, Daniel; Gunasekaran, Suman; Orler, Victor J.
- Metabolic Engineering, Vol. 14, Issue 4, p. 298-305
Anatomy of Escherichia coli ribosome binding sites
journal, October 2001
- Shultzaberger, Ryan K.; Bucheimer, R. Elaine; Rudd, Kenneth E.
- Journal of Molecular Biology, Vol. 313, Issue 1, p. 215-228
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: