High sensitivity, solid state neutron detector
An apparatus (200) for detecting slow or thermal neutrons (160). The apparatus (200) includes an alpha particle-detecting layer (240) that is a hydrogenated amorphous silicon p-i-n diode structure. The apparatus includes a bottom metal contact (220) and a top metal contact (250) with the diode structure (240) positioned between the two contacts (220, 250) to facilitate detection of alpha particles (170). The apparatus (200) includes a neutron conversion layer (230) formed of a material containing boron-10 isotopes. The top contact (250) is pixilated with each contact pixel extending to or proximate to an edge of the apparatus to facilitate electrical contacting. The contact pixels have elongated bodies to allow them to extend across the apparatus surface (242) with each pixel having a small surface area to match capacitance based upon a current spike detecting circuit or amplifier connected to each pixel. The neutron conversion layer (860) may be deposited on the contact pixels (830) such as with use of inkjet printing of nanoparticle ink.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- lliance for Sustainable Energy, LLC (Golden, CO) GFO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Sep 13
- Research Org:
- National Renewable Energy Lab. (NREL), Golden, CO (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 22 GENERAL STUDIES OF NUCLEAR REACTORS
Other works cited in this record:Designs for thin-film-coated semiconductor thermal neutron detectors
conference, January 2002
- McGregor, D. S.; Klann, R. T.; Gersch, H. K.
Neutron detection with a silicon PIN photodiode and 6LiF converter
journal, October 2003
- Voytchev, M.; Iñiguez, M. P.; Méndez, R.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 512, Issue 3, p. 546-552
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: