Sulfur-carbon nanocomposites and their application as cathode materials in lithium-sulfur batteries
The invention is directed in a first aspect to a sulfur-carbon composite material comprising: (i) a bimodal porous carbon component containing therein a first mode of pores which are mesopores, and a second mode of pores which are micropores; and (ii) elemental sulfur contained in at least a portion of said micropores. The invention is also directed to the aforesaid sulfur-carbon composite as a layer on a current collector material; a lithium ion battery containing the sulfur-carbon composite in a cathode therein; as well as a method for preparing the sulfur-composite material.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UT-Battelle, LLC (Oak Ridge, TN) ORO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Sep 02
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:Sulfur–carbon nano-composite as cathode for rechargeable lithium battery based on gel electrolyte
journal, June 2002
- Wang, J. L.; Yang, J.; Xie, J. Y.
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 4, Issue 6, p. 499-502
Synthesis of Mesoporous Carbon Materials via Enhanced Hydrogen-Bonding Interaction
journal, April 2006
- Liang, Chengdu; Dai, Sheng
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 128, Issue 16, p. 5316-5317
Synthesis of a Large-Scale Highly Ordered Porous Carbon Film by Self-Assembly of Block Copolymers
journal, November 2004
- Liang, Chengdu; Hong, Kunlun; Guiochon, Georges A.
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 43, Issue 43, p. 5785-5789
Lithium-Sulfur Battery: Evaluation of Dioxolane-Based Electrolytes
journal, January 1989
- Peled, E.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 136, Issue 6, p. 1621-1625
Facile Synthesis of Ordered Mesoporous Carbons with High Thermal Stability by Self-Assembly of Resorcinol−Formaldehyde and Block Copolymers under Highly Acidic Conditions
journal, July 2008
- Wang, Xiqing; Liang, Chengdu; Dai, Sheng
- Langmuir, Vol. 24, Issue 14, p. 7500-7505
Rechargeable Lithium Sulfur Battery
journal, May 2003
- Cheon, Sang-Eun; Ko, Ki-Seok; Cho, Ji-Hoon
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 150, Issue 6, p. A800-A805
Synthesis and Electrochemical Performance of Sulfur/Highly Porous Carbon Composites
journal, February 2009
- Lai, C.; Gao, X. P.; Zhang, B.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 113, Issue 11, p. 4712-4716
Hierarchically Structured Sulfur/Carbon Nanocomposite Material for High-Energy Lithium Battery
journal, October 2009
- Liang, Chengdu; Dudney, Nancy J.; Howe, Jane Y.
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 21, Issue 19, p. 4724-4730
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: