Platinum-coated non-noble metal-noble metal core-shell electrocatalysts
Core-shell particles encapsulated by a thin film of a catalytically active metal are described. The particles are preferably nanoparticles comprising a non-noble core with a noble metal shell which preferably do not include Pt. The non-noble metal-noble metal core-shell nanoparticles are encapsulated by a catalytically active metal which is preferably Pt. The core-shell nanoparticles are preferably formed by prolonged elevated-temperature annealing of nanoparticle alloys in an inert environment. This causes the noble metal component to surface segregate and form an atomically thin shell. The Pt overlayer is formed by a process involving the underpotential deposition of a monolayer of a non-noble metal followed by immersion in a solution comprising a Pt salt. A thin Pt layer forms via the galvanic displacement of non-noble surface atoms by more noble Pt atoms in the salt. The overall process is a robust and cost-efficient method for forming Pt-coated non-noble metal-noble metal core-shell nanoparticles.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC (Upton, NY) BNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Feb 18
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Platinum Monolayer Electrocatalysts for O2 Reduction: Pt Monolayer on Pd(111) and on Carbon-Supported Pd Nanoparticles
journal, July 2004
- Zhang, J.; Mo, Y.; Vukmirovic, M. B.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 108, Issue 30, p. 10955-10964
Enhancement of the electrocatalytic O2 reduction on Pt–Fe alloys
journal, January 1999
- Toda, Takako; Igarashi, Hiroshi; Watanabe, Masahiro
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 460, Issue 1-2, p. 258-262
Physical and chemical properties of bimetallic surfaces
journal, January 1996
- Rodriguez, José A.
- Surface Science Reports, Vol. 24, Issue 7-8, p. 223-287
Role of Structural and Electronic Properties of Pt and Pt Alloys on Electrocatalysis of Oxygen Reduction
journal, January 1995
- Mukerjee, Sanjeev; Srinivasan, Supramaniam; Soriaga, Manuel P.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 142, Issue 5, p. 1409-1422
Electrochemical structure-sensitive behaviour of irreversibly adsorbed palladium on Pt(100), Pt(111) and Pt(110) in an acidic medium
journal, June 1993
- Llorca, M. J.; Feliu, J. M.; Aldaz, A.
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 351, Issue 1-2, p. 299-319
The formation and behavior of Ag adsorbates at Pd electrodes and their influence on electrocatalytic oxidation of formic acid at Pd
journal, July 1982
- Koljadko, Je.; Podlovchenko, B. I.; Wetzel, R.
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Interfacial Electrochemistry, Vol. 137, Issue 1, p. 117-125
Synthesis of palladium nanostructures by spontaneous electroless deposition
journal, April 2006
- Shi, Zhongliang; Wu, Shanqiang; Szpunar, Jerzy A.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 422, Issue 1-3, p. 147-151
Synthesis and characterization of fivefold twinned nanorods and right bipyramids of palladium
journal, June 2007
- Xiong, Yujie; Cai, Honggang; Yin, Yadong
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 440, Issue 4-6, p. 273-278
Controlling the Catalytic Activity of Platinum-Monolayer Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction with Different Substrates
journal, March 2005
- Zhang, Junliang; Vukmirovic, Miomir B.; Xu, Ye
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 44, Issue 14, p. 2132-2135
Stabilization of Platinum Oxygen-Reduction Electrocatalysts Using Gold Clusters
journal, January 2007
- Zhang, J.; Sasaki, K.; Sutter, E.
- Science, Vol. 315, Issue 5809, p. 220-222
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: