Methods for improved growth of group III nitride semiconductor compounds
Methods are disclosed for growing group III-nitride semiconductor compounds with advanced buffer layer technique. In an embodiment, a method includes providing a suitable substrate in a processing chamber of a hydride vapor phase epitaxy processing system. The method includes forming an AlN buffer layer by flowing an ammonia gas into a growth zone of the processing chamber, flowing an aluminum halide containing precursor to the growth zone and at the same time flowing additional hydrogen halide or halogen gas into the growth zone of the processing chamber. The additional hydrogen halide or halogen gas that is flowed into the growth zone during buffer layer deposition suppresses homogeneous AlN particle formation. The hydrogen halide or halogen gas may continue flowing for a time period while the flow of the aluminum halide containing precursor is turned off.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Applied Materials, Inc. (Santa Clara, CA) DOEEE
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 May 10
- Research Org:
- Applied Materials, Inc., Santa Clara, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
Other works cited in this record:Growth and design of deep-UV (240–290nm) light emitting diodes using AlGaN alloys
journal, December 2004
- Allerman, A. A.; Crawford, M. H.; Fischer, A. J.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 272, Issue 1-4, p. 227-241
Aluminum nitride substrate growth by halide vapor transport epitaxy
journal, March 2003
- Bliss, D. F.; Tassev, V. L.; Weyburne, D.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 250, Issue 1-2, p. 1-6
Modeling of gas phase and surface reactions in an aluminum nitride growth system
journal, July 2006
- Cai, D.; Zheng, L. L.; Zhang, H.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 293, Issue 1, p. 136-145
Epitaxial growth of aluminum nitride
journal, October 1967
- Chu, T. L.; Ing, D. W.; Noreika, A. J.
- Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 10, Issue 10, p. 1023-1027
Thermodynamic and experimental investigations on the growth of thick aluminum nitride layers by high temperature CVD
journal, June 2009
- Claudel, A.; Blanquet, E.; Chaussende, D.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 311, Issue 13, p. 3371-3379
Chemical vapour deposition of polycrystalline AlN films from AlCl3–NH3 mixtures.
journal, March 2002
- Dollet, A.; Casaux, Y.; Chaix, G.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 406, Issue 1-2, p. 1-16
MOVPE-like HVPE of AlN using solid aluminum trichloride source
journal, January 2007
- Eriguchi, Ken-ichi; Murakami, Hisashi; Panyukova, Uliana
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 298, p. 332-335
Growth of thick AlN layers by hydride vapor-phase epitaxy
journal, July 2005
- Kumagai, Yoshinao; Yamane, Takayoshi; Koukitu, Akinori
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 281, Issue 1, p. 62-67
Growth of the AlN nano-pillar crystal films by means of a halide chemical vapor deposition under atmospheric pressure
journal, July 2004
- Yoshioka, Masayuki; Takahashi, Naoyuki; Nakamura, Takato
- Materials Chemistry and Physics, Vol. 86, Issue 1, p. 74-77
Micro freef-low IEF enhanced by active cooling and functionalized gels
journal, December 2006
- Albrecht, Jacob W.; Jensen, Klavs F.
- ELECTROPHORESIS, Vol. 27, Issue 24, p. 4960-4969
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: