Covalently functionalized carbon nanostructures and methods for their separation
The present invention is directed to carbon nanostructures, e.g., carbon nanotubes, methods of covalently functionalizing carbon nanostructures, and methods of separating and isolating covalently functionalized carbon. In some embodiments, carbon nanotubes are reacted with alkylating agents to provide water soluble covalently functionalized carbon nanotubes. In other embodiments, carbon nanotubes are reacted with a thermally-responsive agent and exposed to light in order to separate carbon nanotubes of a specific chirality from a mixture of carbon nanotubes.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of Maryland, College Park (College Park, MD) DOESC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Apr 04
- Research Org:
- Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Sorting carbon nanotubes by electronic structure using density differentiation
journal, October 2006
- Arnold, Michael S.; Green, Alexander A.; Hulvat, James F.
- Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 60-65
Carbon Nanotubes--the Route Toward Applications
journal, August 2002
- Baughman, Ray H.; Zakhidov, Anvar A.; de Heer, Walt A.
- Science, Vol. 297, Issue 5582, p. 787-792
Progress towards monodisperse single-walled carbon nanotubes
journal, May 2008
- Hersam, Mark C.
- Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 3, Issue 7, p. 387-394
Insight into the mechanism of sidewall functionalization of single-walled nanotubes: an STM study
journal, November 1999
- Kelly, K. F.; Chiang, I. W.; Mickelson, E. T.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 313, Issue 3-4, p. 445-450
Atomic Layer Deposition Chemistry Recent Developments and Future Challenges
journal, November 2003
- Leskelä, Markku; Ritala, Mikko
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 42, Issue 45, p. 5548-5554
Electrochemical potential control of isolated single-walled carbon nanotubes on gold electrode
journal, May 2005
- Murakoshi, Kei; Okazaki, Ken-ichi
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 50, Issue 15, p. 3069-3075
Gas-phase catalytic growth of single-walled carbon nanotubes from carbon monoxide
journal, November 1999
- Nikolaev, Pavel; Bronikowski, Michael J.; Bradley, R. Kelley
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 313, Issue 1-2, p. 91-97
DNA sequence motifs for structure-specific recognition and separation of carbon nanotubes
journal, July 2009
- Tu, Xiaomin; Manohar, Suresh; Jagota, Anand
- Nature, Vol. 460, Issue 7252, p. 250-253
Enrichment of Single Chirality Carbon Nanotubes
journal, May 2007
- Zheng, Ming; Semke, Ellen D.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 129, Issue 19, p. 6084-6085
Surface Chemistry for Atomic Layer Growth
journal, January 1996
- George, S. M.; Ott, A. W.; Klaus, J. W.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 100, Issue 31, p. 13121-13131
Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide): experiment, theory and application
journal, January 1992
- Schild, H. G.
- Progress in Polymer Science, Vol. 17, Issue 2, p. 163-249
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: