Nucleic acid detection system and method for detecting influenza
The invention provides a rapid, sensitive and specific nucleic acid detection system which utilizes isothermal nucleic acid amplification in combination with a lateral flow chromatographic device, or DNA dipstick, for DNA-hybridization detection. The system of the invention requires no complex instrumentation or electronic hardware, and provides a low cost nucleic acid detection system suitable for highly sensitive pathogen detection. Hybridization to single-stranded DNA amplification products using the system of the invention provides a sensitive and specific means by which assays can be multiplexed for the detection of multiple target sequences.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Los Alamos National Security, LLC. (Los Alamos, NM) LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2007 Aug 22
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Recovery and detection of enterovirus, hepatitis A virus and Norwalk virus in hardshell clams (Mercenaria mercenaria) by RT-PCR methods
journal, February 1999
- Suñén, Ester; Sobsey, Mark D.
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 77, Issue 2, p. 179-187
Rapid single-tube immunocapture RT-PCR for the detection of two yam potyviruses
journal, December 1997
- Mumford, R. A.; Seal, S. E.
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 69, Issue 1-2, p. 73-79
Optimal conditions for hybridization with oligonucleotides: A study with myc-oncogene DNA probes
journal, April 1988
- Albretsen, Catrine; Haukanes, Bjørn-Ivar; Aasland, Rein
- Analytical Biochemistry, Vol. 170, Issue 1, p. 193-202
Characterization of a Thermostable UvrD Helicase and Its Participation in Helicase-dependent Amplification
journal, June 2005
- An, Lixin; Tang, Wen; Ranalli, Tamara A.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 280, Issue 32, p. 28952-28958
Current Protocols in Molecular Biology
book, May 2001
- Ausubel, Frederick M.; Brent, Roger; Kingston, Robert E.
Rapid, direct extraction of DNA from soils for PCR analysis using polyvinylpolypyrrolidone spin columns
journal, April 1996
- Berthelet, Marc; Whyte, Lyle G.; Greer, Charles W.
- FEMS Microbiology Letters, Vol. 138, Issue 1, p. 17-22
Locked nucleic acid (LNA): fine-tuning the recognition of DNA and RNA
journal, January 2001
- Braasch, Dwaine A.; Corey, David R.
- Chemistry & Biology, Vol. 8, Issue 1, p. 1-7
Helicase structure and mechanism
journal, February 2002
- Caruthers, Jonathan M.; McKay, David B.
- Current Opinion in Structural Biology, Vol. 12, Issue 1, p. 123-133
Early diagnosis of bubonic plague using F1 antigen capture ELISA assay and rapid immunogold dipstick
journal, July 2000
- Chanteau, Suzanne; Rahalison, Lila; Ratsitorahina, Mahery
- International Journal of Medical Microbiology, Vol. 290, Issue 3, p. 279-283
Use of laser microdissection greatly improves the recovery of DNA from sperm on microscope slides
journal, October 2003
- Elliott, K.; Hill, D. S.; Lambert, C.
- Forensic Science International, Vol. 137, Issue 1, p. 28-36
Development of immunocapture reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification for the detection of tomato spotted wilt virus from chrysanthemum
journal, October 2004
- Fukuta, Shiro; Ohishi, Kazushi; Yoshida, Keiko
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 121, Issue 1, p. 49-55
An investigation of the rigor of interpretation rules for STRs derived from less than 100 pg of DNA
journal, July 2000
- Gill, Peter; Whitaker, Jonathan; Flaxman, Christine
- Forensic Science International, Vol. 112, Issue 1, p. 17-40
Isothermal, in vitro amplification of nucleic acids by a multienzyme reaction modeled after retroviral replication.
journal, March 1990
- Guatelli, J. C.; Whitfield, K. M.; Kwoh, D. Y.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 87, Issue 5, p. 1874-1878
DNA Microarray Technology Devices, Systems, and Applications
journal, August 2002
- Heller, Michael J.
- Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 4, Issue 1, p. 129-153
Detection of amantadine-resistant variants among avian influenza viruses isolated in North America and Asia
journal, October 2005
- Ilyushina, Natalia A.; Govorkova, Elena A.; Webster, Robert G.
- Virology, Vol. 341, Issue 1, p. 102-106
Development of a multiplex immunocapture RT-PCR assay for detection and differentiation of tomato and tobacco mosaic tobamoviruses
journal, October 1998
- Jacobi, V.; Bachand, G. D.; Hamelin, R. C.
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 74, Issue 2, p. 167-178
NASBATM isothermal enzymatic in vitro nucleic acid amplification optimized for the diagnosis of HIV-1 infection
journal, December 1991
- Kievits, Tim; van Gemen, Bob; van Strijp, Dianne
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 35, Issue 3, p. 273-286
The total influenza vaccine failure of 1947 revisited: Major intrasubtypic antigenic change can explain failure of vaccine in a post-World War II epidemic
journal, July 2002
- Kilbourne, E. D.; Smith, C.; Brett, I.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, Issue 16, p. 10748-10752
One-step immobilization of poly(dT)-modified DNA onto non-modified plastic substrates by UV irradiation for microarrays
journal, August 2006
- Kimura, Naoki
- Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol. 347, Issue 2, p. 477-484
Transcription-based amplification system and detection of amplified human immunodeficiency virus type 1 with a bead-based sandwich hybridization format.
journal, February 1989
- Kwoh, D. Y.; Davis, G. R.; Whitfield, K. M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 86, Issue 4, p. 1173-1177
Direct detection of potato leafroll virus in potato tubers by immunocapture and the isothermal nucleic acid amplification method NASBA
journal, June 1997
- Leone, G.; van Schijndel, H. B.; van Genien, B.
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 66, Issue 1, p. 19-27
Chromatographic performance of a thin microporous bed of nitrocellulose
journal, November 2001
- Lönnberg, Maria; Carlsson, Jan
- Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications, Vol. 763, Issue 1-2, p. 107-120
Virulence signatures: microarray-based approaches to discovery and analysis
journal, November 2004
- Pannucci, James; Cai, Hong; Pardington, Paige E.
- Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 20, Issue 4, p. 706-718
Microchromatography and microelectrophoresis on nitrocellulose membranes
journal, May 1970
- Přistoupil, T. I.
- Chromatographic Reviews, Vol. 12, Issue 2, p. 109-125
A novel rapid hybridization technique: paper chromatography hybridization assay (PACHA)
journal, December 1993
- Reinhartz, Avraham; Alajem, Sara; Samson, Aline
- Gene, Vol. 136, Issue 1-2, p. 221-226
Amplification and cloning of a long RNA virus genome using immunocapture-long RT-PCR
journal, June 1997
- Romero, Alicia; Blanco-Urgoiti, Begoña; Ponz, Fernando
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 66, Issue 1, p. 159-163
Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with a thermostable DNA polymerase
journal, January 1988
- Saiki, R. K.; Gelfand, D. H.; Stoffel, S.
- Science, Vol. 239, Issue 4839, p. 487-491
An Introduction to Monolithic Disks as Stationary Phases for High Performance Biochromatography
journal, January 2000
- Tennikova, Tatiana B.; Freitag, Ruth
- Journal of Separation Science, Vol. 23, Issue 1, p. 27-38
High-performance membrane chromatography: Highly efficient separation method for proteins in ion-exchange, hydrophobic interaction and reversed-phase modes
journal, September 1993
- Tennikova, Tatiana B.; Svec, Frantisek
- Journal of Chromatography A, Vol. 646, Issue 2, p. 279-288
Isothermal reactions for the amplification of oligonucleotides
journal, April 2003
- Van Ness, J.; Van Ness, L. K.; Galas, D. J.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 100, Issue 8, p. 4504-4509
Strand displacement amplification—an isothermal, in vitro DNA amplification technique
journal, January 1992
- Walker, G. Terrance; Fraiser, Melinda S.; Schram, James L.
- Nucleic Acids Research, Vol. 20, Issue 7, p. 1691-1696
A highly sensitive immunocapture polymerase chain reaction method for plum pox potyvirus detection
journal, September 1992
- Wetzel, T.; Candresse, T.; Macquaire, G.
- Journal of Virological Methods, Vol. 39, Issue 1-2, p. 27-37
PCR-based diagnostics for infectious diseases: uses, limitations, and future applications in acute-care settings
journal, June 2004
- Yang, Samuel; Rothman, Richard E.
- The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Vol. 4, Issue 6, p. 337-348
An amplification-free hybridization-based DNA assay to detect Streptococcus pneumoniae utilizing the up-converting phosphor technology
journal, July 2003
- Zuiderwijk, Michel; Tanke, Hans J.; Sam Niedbala, R.
- Clinical Biochemistry, Vol. 36, Issue 5, p. 401-403
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: